advice on fitting an electric combi boiler | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss advice on fitting an electric combi boiler in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Damon Chase

Hey,

I have a customer who is smack bang in the middle of a block of flats with an old ocean style FF combi boiler with the balanced flue going up through the flat above, as this is now not allowed without fitting inspection hatches every meter up the flue, which is not an ideal option, another person has mensioned getting an electic boiler. Also the old boiler is fed off a 15mm feed and unable to get a 22mm feed if i was to fit a new gas she only has 6 single small rads and one bathroom in the flat, the floor is solid and with no roof none of the pipework can be moved but the electric metter is about 1.5 meters away from the boiler. i have found an electric combi Gabarron CMX15 Electric Combi Boiler and was just wondering if anyone had fitted or seen these before who can advice me on it before i go ahead with it, british gas and warm front didnt want to touch it either so gives you a small idea how much of a nightmare it potenitally could be........

many thanks

damon chase

Hi Damon
I have no experiance of installing these units but I would suggest you get a sparky to make sure that there is available current on the circuit board, If there is isnt I may well be able to suggest an alternative, but this will also come with its own problems.
regards
Mike

i remember some one was on about this electic boilers .....wait I thing it was danny from prestige plumbing !
he will be here soon ,let him tell as more about it

The Elnur Gabarron CMX18 electric combi is a cracking unit, just fitted one about 4 weeks ago. Originally was an oil swap, take out old Warflow heat only and install new HE heat only Worcester. Customers weren't happy with the way oil had gone over the winter, strife in middle east etc so after discussing with electrician they opted for the CMX18. I wasn't over the moon but what the hell, nice easy unit to install, however there are a few issues. It has a 50 litre hot water store and has tprv and prv so comes under unvented, the filling loop is integral and cannot be disconnected and has no double check valve.
On the plus side it was wired in temporary into the defunct shower circuit so was restricted to 9kw, but within 10 mins of installation I had nice hot water at the taps, within another 10 mins had heating right round to the 9 radiators. Apparently the unit modulates as the it is a bank of multiple 3kw heating element.
Nobody though was able to give running costs, the customers is going to give me some feedback after the first 12 months.
When unpacking it there will be some little spacers, don't lose em the sparky will need them.

So overall, a nice little unit, easy to instal but no info on running costs.

Other thing don't but it online from the only place I could find it. I purchased it from a local builders merchant who I have never used before and they bought it from CEF. Online was about 1600 I think plus vat, I got it for 1195 plus vat.

Need to kmow anything else fire away.

what else do u suggest?? im always open to more suggestions. :)

It has a 50 litre hot water store and has tprv and prv so comes under unvented, the filling loop is integral and cannot be disconnected and has no double check valve.
On the plus side it was wired in temporary into the defunct shower circuit so was restricted to 9kw,

so oes it work like a combi instantenous hot water as it passes through or a cylinder? heats it up and whens its gone its gone till it heats up again, i must admit i made the mistake in not checking what type of shower she had, but surely 50 litres is not adequate to fill a bath, it is only her on her own, havent heard the term tprv? but prv from previous combi can be used for the prv so no problem there. do you have any idea what sort or electrical needs there are to work the thing?

many thanks damon

there conventional boilers, already taken a look at them, isnt an option as need a combi..... :S

It has a 50 litre hot water store and has tprv and prv so comes under unvented, the filling loop is integral and cannot be disconnected and has no double check valve.
On the plus side it was wired in temporary into the defunct shower circuit so was restricted to 9kw,

so oes it work like a combi instantenous hot water as it passes through or a cylinder? heats it up and whens its gone its gone till it heats up again, i must admit i made the mistake in not checking what type of shower she had, but surely 50 litres is not adequate to fill a bath, it is only her on her own, havent heard the term tprv? but prv from previous combi can be used for the prv so no problem there. do you have any idea what sort or electrical needs there are to work the thing?

many thanks damon

No its not a storage cylinder as such, customer has had showers and ran baths no problem. Tprv is temperature and pressure relief, needs g3 calcs and tundish for discharge. As far as my old electrical kmowledge goes W = A * V so 18000/230 = 78.26amps but like I said the one I installed was using the old electric shower slot on the board and was set to 9kw. On the control panel theres a number of dip switches like on the back of a programmer that can be set to adjust the input wattage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I recently fitted a new central heating...
Replies
Views
We've just sorted one of these situations...
Replies
Views
D
It’s a combi so hot water doesn’t need timing...
Replies
Views
London averages ca 1400 hr/yr of sunshine...
Replies
Views
I know who you are, I was just interested in...
Replies
Views
Back