air trapped in boiler circuit | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss air trapped in boiler circuit in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
ive just had a plumber fit a RM stelflow cylinder, move the pump to the tank cupboard upstairs, and fit a S plan. the trouble is when the system is running there is a loud tinkling noise where the boiler is, and the boiler seems to kettle somewhat. im guessing when the altered the system from gravity hw to fully pumped some air got trapped in the pipe work above the boiler. its most noticble when the pump turns off, and sounds like the glugging sound you get from a water bottle in an office.

I did point it out to the plumber who said I may go or just stay like it. my worry is it will not transfer the heat from the boiler efficiently (which might be the kettl'ing I can hear).

Get him back and tell him to sort it. Could have screwed up position of pump. Take it the heating system is open vented?

Get him back and tell him to sort it. Could have screwed up position of pump. Take it the heating system is open vented?

yes the heating is open vented. at our old house they fitted a air valve on one leg above the boiler, which seemed to me to be a good idea.

im wondering if the 28mm pipes run slightly down hill under the floor boards, thus causing the air to get trapped.

before you ask the old tank was gravity fed. so I have 28-22mm reducers at the tank cupboard and boiler.

Air bottles on pipework to cylinder, get the pressure up and run the system until all the air is pushed through the air bottles, this might take a few hours but its better than air in system, which will cause problems! System should be between 1 to 2 bar on pressure gauge!

Cold feed and open vent connected at the cylinder?

its open vent only on the indirect coil in the cylinder. then the cold feed from the mains feeds the cylinder via a pressure regulator and expansion vessel. the plumber fitted the pump in a H format of pipe work, apparently this helps to avoid trapped air. the 2 pipes from the header tank feed into the tops of the H, and the pump pumps downwards on one leg.

Need a picture in situ. Fitted a lot of these, I like them.

If hes recently done the job then he has an obligation to come back to fix any snags, me personally dont trust pipework i cant see under floors etc so i always put airing points on different parts of systems for all the price of them, aswell as gate valves , i like to make my life easy when filling a system or removing parts, i hate lazy plumbers or tight asses who dont do this, boo hoo

finally had time to take a pic, excuse the pipe insulation that's my effort at lagging it all, basically if it gets warm I lag it:

Last edited:
If he didn't lag it it's non-compliant with building regs....

Actually looking at the picture it's non-compliant in lots of areas.
D1, Insulation ......
TMV?

"Primary circulation pipes for domestic hot water circuits should be insulated throughout their length, subject only to practical constraints imposed by the need to penetrate joists and other structural elements

All pipes connected to hot water storage vessels, including the vent pipe, should be insulated for at least 1m from their points of connection to the cylinder (or they should be insulated up to the point where they become concealed) "

Last edited:
D1 500mm Max I believe.

600 mm max from TRV... (3.54 and Diagram 1)

That's horrific. Everything should be lagged within 1m of tank and as far as reasonably practicable.

600 mm max from TRV... (3.54 and Diagram 1)

And on a continual downward fall, looks like back fall after tee on to the erv. So many plebs fail to see that erv can be anywhere after nrv and before cylinder . Expansion is throughout pipework not just at the tapping for the eRV.

sorry to be a div, im a comp tech not a plumber, could you decipher the erv nrv stuff so I know what im checking.

on the lagging side I was a bit apprehensive about lagging the temperature relief valve, as I was worried it might make it more prone to venting.

well on a positive at least I knew, if only because im a tight git, that I needed to lag the pipes. by the way he didn't leave a lot of space to do it. I used 19mm where I could but had to use 13mm in places. also the foil tape from wikes doesn't stick well to the insulation, sticks to everything else though :) .

NRV = Non return Valve, ERV = Expansion Relief Valve (aka Pressure Relief Valve), - In your system it's a combined control block (grey top on the Pressure Reducing Valve /Red top on the ERV and brass, this block also contains the non-return valve, so that hot water can't contaminate the cold water as it heats up) about 2/3 of the way down on the left.

Get your plumber back to fix it all.... If you want all the technical blurb it's in here: Planning Portal - Approved Document G - Sanitation, hot water safety and water efficiency

So he needs to sort out the air in the system AS well as you new hot water bomb. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bU-I2ZiML0

It's easy to criticise after the event.

You need to know the state of mind at the time, was he being over fed with tea and biscuits by the customer and got distracted or NOT being overfed by the customer and got vindictive??

Apart from he must have found the E.Vessel in the box just before he left and slapped it in front of everything, it's difficult to say..

i did question the expansion vessel placement. he said he thought it was better there as i could put shelving above the tank or something like that. quite frankly i would have preferred storage in front of the tank where the door is, and that i don't need steps to reach.

on more serious note is there any definite no no's that need immediate remedies. i don't want to rub the plumber up the wrong way, especially as hes gonna wonder how i know the install is not right.

Last edited:
above the pump there is a 22mm with two T's that goto 15mm runs upto the old rad circuit tank. one to the tank and one to the vent.

need some help here. is this install dangerous or just not good. I contacted the plumber, as we had to put the boiler on today, and he says the boiler needs replacing as its probably scaled up. I tried explaining that the noise is a tinkling when the pump is running and a bubbling when the pump stops. also I told him if set the boiler to 5 the hw doesn't get very hot and the boiler turns off, if I set it to 6 (MAX) the boiler starts to kettle. here's a picture of the pipe work downstairs in the utility:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Im 99% sure its not the pump sound. just...
Replies
Views
Its easy to check for a leak, just tie up the...
Replies
Views
Hello All. The pump was disconnected and...
Replies
Views
Stick with heat only. You most probably still...
Replies
Views
Yeah I think there was loose wiring in the...
Replies
Views
Back