Bleeding heating oil system | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Bleeding heating oil system in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rcoe74

Hi all,

I have an oil-fired boiler (Rhino) and managed to let it run completely dry.... oops. We've had a delivery but the boiler won't fire up. Seems like I need to bleed air out of the system.... I've found the reset button and have pressed that many (20+ times) each time the pump runs but when it comes to try and ignite no joy so I guess there must be an airlock or something?

The place where the oil enters the building is shown in the photo - there seems to be some kind of small canister (filter?) and a couple of joins. There's a thick copper wire that seems to join onto the base of the canister. which runs into the boiler and ends in a long coiled up section and a cylindrical piece of metal a the size of a big pencil. I've tried switching off the tap and loosening the join where the rubber pipe joins the metal but I can't shift it (the damp patch on the floor is the WD-40) and it's torquing the rest of the pipework there (worried I'm going to damage something or cause a leak) 102_2810.JPG (image)

Any thoughts please? Should there be a means to bleed the system in the boiler itself? should i keep pressing the reset button over and over? or which bit of the pipework in the pic should I be trying to loosen to bleed it?

Many thanks to all.

If you post a photo of the inside of your boiler (highlighting the pump if you know which part it is) we could help you. You'll need a 4mm (usually) allen key.

As for the rest ... here's a jobsworth description ... !!!

For your info, red flexible pipe is your oil line (which I suspect you know!) It should be replaced once a year when the boiler is serviced. Blue is the isolation valve. The copper "wire" is part of the fire valve which is the brass container and fitted upside down!)

The "canister" (in the boiler) is the phial of the fire valve and holds gas and the "wire" is a thin tube. If the phial is heated (from a boiler fire) up it pushes gas down the tube which pushes the black button down (when it's fitted the correct way!!) which stops more oil flowing into the boiler and adding to the fire. Incidentally, the fire valve should be outside!

If it's any comfort, there are huge quantities of oil installations which break the rules but the regulation faults should be pointed out to you at the service.

Hehe! You're nearly there ... maybe another photo needed!

You need to remove the red cover off the burner.

First things first. Turn the boiler off at the mains. You do not want it firing when mucking about with 115psi or so of oil squirting out at you - 999 and hospital job.

Looks like it's the switch to the right of the boiler (follow it's wire). For more peace of mind you could also unclip the black connection in front of the air hose.

After you've isolated the electricity remove the red cover. (Those two large screws). A little fiddly to replace so make a note note when it comes off if either the flexible oil line or a wire is tucked in and springs out. Pump is usually found on the left hand side. (Black box about 3" cube with a round section on it.)

If there is a long (around 3"-4") hexagonal shaped rod thing sticking out of the pump, then you need a 4mm allen screw. At the end of the rod, there's a grub screw with a tiny O ring washer on it. Using some kitchen towel, undo the grub screw and wait for the oil to come out then replace the grub screw (quite tight).

Then replace the cover, connect the black electric connection and turn on white switch. Press the lockout button (red light thingy) and try it again.

IMPORTANT: If you can't see the hexagonal rod, take another photo with the cover off and a pic of the pump and wait for another reply. I wouldn't touch anything else unless you're absolutely sure. (Have you got the boiler's manual as it will help if you need to ask more?)

If this works (hope it does!), great, but if not please shout and you can do something different.

Hi , had exactly the same problem and after reading your post , managed to sort it out straight away. So just wanted to say thanks.:)
Hehe! You're nearly there ... maybe another photo needed!

You need to remove the red cover off the burner.

First things first. Turn the boiler off at the mains. You do not want it firing when mucking about with 115psi or so of oil squirting out at you - 999 and hospital job.

Looks like it's the switch to the right of the boiler (follow it's wire). For more peace of mind you could also unclip the black connection in front of the air hose.

After you've isolated the electricity remove the red cover. (Those two large screws). A little fiddly to replace so make a note note when it comes off if either the flexible oil line or a wire is tucked in and springs out. Pump is usually found on the left hand side. (Black box about 3" cube with a round section on it.)

If there is a long (around 3"-4") hexagonal shaped rod thing sticking out of the pump, then you need a 4mm allen screw. At the end of the rod, there's a grub screw with a tiny O ring washer on it. Using some kitchen towel, undo the grub screw and wait for the oil to come out then replace the grub screw (quite tight).

Then replace the cover, connect the black electric connection and turn on white switch. Press the lockout button (red light thingy) and try it again.

IMPORTANT: If you can't see the hexagonal rod, take another photo with the cover off and a pic of the pump and wait for another reply. I wouldn't touch anything else unless you're absolutely sure. (Have you got the boiler's manual as it will help if you need to ask more?)

If this works (hope it does!), great, but if not please shout and you can do something different.

Hi,

Re the final sentence of your post (about doing something different), I would appreciate any further tips that you may be able to offer. Having run out of oil on several occasions over the years, I have always been able to bleed air out of the system and restart the boiler. However, I have tried to bleed it this time and no oil is coming through.

Many thanks.

Hi,

Many thanks for your near instant reply!

For the first time ever, I did disconnect the oil filter housing on the outside wall (having turned off the tap at the storage tank). A small quantity of oil ran out and I inspected the filter. It did not appear to be clogged - but not being a plumber I can't really say. When I reconnected the filter housing and turned on the tap I was no further forward.

Do you still reckon that it's the filter that's my problem?

Many thanks.

I think you've realistically done all that you can and now you need to get someone in.

Many thanks for your prompt reply.

It's been a while since the boiler was serviced. I'll act on your advice.

thread revival time!

I found the sticky out rod thingy and can uncrew the bit inside it with an allan key, is that what you meant by the 'grub screw'? I cant find anyting at the bottom of the rod, when I use the allen key to remove the bit inside the rod noting happens.....?

Any advice gratefully received!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

As you radiators are working normally and...
Replies
Views
Yeah I think there was loose wiring in the...
Replies
Views
Sounds like you have found a blockage, if so...
Replies
Views
RobinA
R
76 Views and not one single "expert" has...
Replies
Views
Update: I couldn't get hold of a heating...
Replies
Views
Back