Boiler Advice, Is this Safe? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler Advice, Is this Safe? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

marbar2k

Hi everyone, I have a Ideal Isar HE24 (not by choice, it was already in the house)

I've had a problem with it so I went through my cover on the insurance. Turns out it was a dodgy diverter valve.

2 wrong parts later they have changed the valve. Unfortunately I was out work so my Mrs dealt with it.

Once he fixed it he told her the pressure valve no longer works. Its always been fine never had a problem with it.

He said he has "guessed" the pressure in the system and it all working ok.

My question is, should a Gas Safe engineer leave a system with no pressure valve working having guessed the pressure? Is this not dangerous as it could be over pressure?

also am I right in thinking that the pressure gauge connects into the diverter valve and he could have possible damaged something. The company are saying I will have to pay for a repair.

Thanks

Its more of an issue if you have less pressure. If the pressure gets too high then the pressure relief valve will open.

If you have cover why did they not replace it? Or is it on an external pressure vessel?

I think you mean the pressure gauge. It should not be dangerous. Too much will go out of the relief pipe. Too little, the boiler will shut down on low pressure or overheat stat.
It is unrelated to the diverter. Long term it want fixing. How are they saying it is not covered by the insurance?

I'd hate to leave a job half done, like that. It's bound to lead onto a call back

We have a £500 call out limit. They are saying the diverter valve is coming in at just over £500. Rip off just covered by the insurance.

So is it safe or professional for a engineer to guess the pressure. Could he have damages something replacing the valve as we have never had a problem?

We get 2 £500 call outs per year. They are saying that the diverter valve came in at £500 so I will have to pay to get the pressure gauge fixed.

We have never had a problem with it and I'm convinced he's damaged it somehow so I don't see why I should pay.

I don't think a professional installer should be guessing the pressure and leaving.

So, 500 quid ( claimed ) to replace a diverter and in the process the pressure gauge is ruined ( im gathering ).......yeah, id be unhappy too !

So, 500 quid ( claimed ) to replace a diverter and in the process the pressure gauge is ruined ( im gathering ).......yeah, id be unhappy too !

Exactly mate. I was fuming, know it's simple to replace but don't see why I should pay for them to do it or get the part myself.

They're getting back to me tomorrow.

Of course he wasn't, im not blaming him...the 500 quid was a manufactured figure so they didn't have to fit the pressure gauge.

i would be questioning the company to find out if your paying for them bringing the wrong parts

£500 to change a diverter valve? ....note to self must put up prices.

£500 to change a diverter valve? ....note to self must put up prices.

Just out of interest how much would you say for parts and labour to replace a diverter valve on a isar he24?

just so I can quite back when they say it cost £500

Blowing the pressure gauge is a known fault when changing the diverter valve on later Isars. The recommended procedure is to loosen off a nut whilst fitting the new diverter to relieve the pressure.

Blowing the pressure gauge is a known fault when changing the diverter valve on later Isars. The recommended procedure is to loosen off a nut whilst fitting the new diverter to relieve the pressure.

Makes sense, mines the last he24 they made.

Is is that documented anywhere for some ammo for me?

Is that documented anywhere? Just for some ammo when I speak to the company tomorrow. He didn't touch the gauge prior to removing the diverter valve.

I do a lot of insurance work no days, think it's a good bit of work. 95% of the call out's are trouble free & 95% of the follow on works are trouble free. But I have had jobs where repairing a boiler or doing some plumbing works something else goes wrong/gives up the ghost. In this case I would have to phone it though & ask if I can repair this problem as well, 9 times out of 10 they say yes, but there is always that 1 they say 'no leave site' trying to explain this to the policy holder can be very hard at times. I have had policy holders trying to lock me in their house until the job is done & even had a policy holder try to push me down the stairs. You do get some jobs that are ok'd by the insurance company within a day or 2, but on the same hand I've had the ok for jobs 6 weeks later. I would much rather get the job fixed ASAP so people can get back to their every day lives.
But thats not always possible
Shame really coz it's me that has to see the policy holder face to face

Thanks so much mate, can't argue with that can they! He obviously did back the nut off to relieve the pressure.

I've done it myself and repaired it at my cost because it was my fault for not reading the instructions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have a flexicom.cx that hasn’t been...
Replies
Views
Oliver1234
O
D
Although, I believe, fitting your own boiler –...
Replies
Views
I feel for you, it's a bad position to be in...
Replies
Views
Back