Boiler bang noise after system drain and refil | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler bang noise after system drain and refil in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anthonyb6000

Evening all,

I drained my vented system today, added some cleaner into header tank (with a view to repeating process in near future with inhibitor) and refilled. I blead air from downstairs rads and then upstairs after re filling.

Turned on boiler tonight and listened, pump in airing cupboard seemed to be working ok, slightly different noise, which I expected for a short while anyway...then after maybe 5 minutes the boiler downstairs started banging (pretty loudly) maybe every 5-10 seconds. I switched it off after about 4-5 bangs not wanting to do any damage. Boiler had been working fine.

Question-is this normal to experience after a refil? Should I man up and let it do it's thing for a while in the hope this will stop after a while?

any help appreciated!

sounds like you still have air in the system

sonds like you mis-diagnosed a heating system that wasnt running 100%?
or what he said if it was!lol

Thanks guys, I thought as much - best remedy? I've re-checked the rads and the pump, all blead. Can the air escape over time or do I need to get an engineer in?

Do you have any air vents at the high points? Sometimes it takes a few attempts to bleed the air, try the pump a few times to see if its still letting air out.

Thanks guys, I went round and drained a little water from the downstairs rads and then attempted again (I searched unsuccessfully for blead valves on pipes) this time I moved the pump setting to 3 from 2 and back again after a few seconds then back to 3. Touch wood, rads are all on and no banging.

Question - when shall I move the pump setting back to 2 (or should I kepep it on max)

Many thanks

Thanks guys, I went round and drained a little water from the downstairs rads and then attempted again (I searched unsuccessfully for blead valves on pipes) this time I moved the pump setting to 3 from 2 and back again after a few seconds then back to 3. Touch wood, rads are all on and no banging.

Question - when shall I move the pump setting back to 2 (or should I kepep it on max)

Many thanks

Leave on 2

Many thanks
pump clogged with krap/not working like i said. it could also be on way out. put new one in ready for winter in a couple of weeks!!!.

In future bleed the pump and before refill manually open and zone valves if u have them,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Drain from the lowest point if you’re draining...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
What type of boiler is it?
Replies
Views
Would an open hot water tap / open radiator...
Replies
Views
H
A professional is needed to diagnose and...
Replies
Views
Sounds like you have found a blockage, if so...
Replies
Views
RobinA
R
Back