Boiler Cycling On and Off | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler Cycling On and Off in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hontoir

Hello everyone,

Unfortunately this is my first post, and I have a lot to learn..

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction, I have a general interest in all things engineering, however, will happily accept when enough is enough and call in the experts.

So, I have:

Boiler - Halstead Wickes 102 Combi (currently set half way between Min and Max on CH and HW)
Thermostat - Honeywell CM901 (set to 17 degrees) (room temp currently 13 degrees)
Rads - 9x (all fitted with lock shield valves)

With the above setup the desired room temperature is not being achieved (according to the thermostat anyway) and the boiler is cycling on and off.. All radiators appear to be reasonably warm.

The cycling involves a short pre-purge then firing.. Then once the firing finishes it switches to a post-purge.. As soon as the boiler completely shuts down it restarts within a second.

There are no issues with the HW, the boiler will stay on for the duration of a long shower!

Thanks in advance for any pointers

EDIT
When the system does eventually get up to temperature (takes about 24 hours) the boiler still seems to cycle even though the Thermostat is then reading the same / sometimes higher than the setpoint.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a gas safe engineer to have a look. No advice given regard gas appliances on the open forum.

Thanks Simon, so you think it is an issue with the boiler itself rather than a central heating system problem, or an issue with the thermostat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Time and make a note of how long the boiler is...
Replies
Views
B
No the installers need to come out
Replies
Views
So you don’t have any of the blending valves /...
Replies
Views
You will need a check valve to stop reverse...
2 3
Replies
Views
Finally (I hope) got to the bottom of this...
2 3
Replies
Views
Back