Boiler Flue | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler Flue in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Patrick Jameson

Hi I just paid over £1800 to have a new boiler and just noticed this... (It's hand wipe tissues) is this normal? 2016-07-04 00.38.12.jpg

Here you are. Got it turned off now. Somewhat worried about ingress of CO...2016-07-04 00.57.45.jpg2016-07-04 00.58.12.jpg

Long as the outside is sealed i dont see a problem, are you looking for ways not to pay the guy?

Paid him straight away. He has made no mention of returning.
Just went outside and there is one of those black rubber seals on the pipe.
Does that mean it's safe? I could call him back to finish it or maybe just do it myself with cement? I guess he forgot...

How do I do that? I am on 1st floor tenement. (about 25 feet up)

give plumber a phone tell him your not happy about the finish, if it was included in the quote he should make good, in future don't pay until you are happy with the work.

Small bag of ready mix plaster needed.

It's surprising he would leave such a poor attempt at sealing the inner wall, makes me wonder what his pipework is like!?

Is the rest of the job in good order? pipework etc. Seems quite a cheap price you have got there, so you might want to cut him some slack and patch it up yourself with a bit of plaster that you can get in 5KG bags

Or

You could take the view that making good is part of the job, which it is, and get him back round to sort it. I think with worcester as long as the inside is made good and the outside has the rubber gromet, its fine.

Personally I would still use the boiler while you wait, but thats up to you

Pics of the pipework under the boiler and the flue outside would be great

2016-07-04 00.58.28.jpg

I had a look at the outside and grommet is in place. (and it's raining now!)
This is the pipework. Already a bit dusty as I'm also having a rewire done...
If he doesn't get back, I'll probably do it myself with a bit of cement

looks nice,
everything is clipped inline as well,
enough clips on the install
he;s used a bender,
mag filter on return

i would give it a b+ :D

Pipework looks fairly neat and tidy, did he flush the heating system? And can we have a pic of the boiler itself?

What did he specify on quote or what exclusions did he put in the quote.

Seems tidy enough elsewhere.

Personally I always use a builder now for finishing off my flue holes unless it's simple enough for me. Got one complaint on a brickwork finish from removing a balanced flue and that was enough for me to get the builder in, he reinstates rough casting, plaster, facing brick to a much better finish than me and keeps customers happy.

Pipe work seems tidy and good he's fitted a filter, the finish around the flue is an eye sore and needs patched, although technically not a heating engineers job more of a plasterers job, I would bet it's sealed outside. Phone the plumber and tell him your not happy about it, I'm sure he will sort it for you after all most of us in business put the paying customers first, we don't want bad reputations.

Here is the text from the quote, no other small print
"Worcester greenstar 25i with 6 year parts and labour warranty Horizontal flue with 1m flue extension
Built in mechanical clock
Powerflush system and install Worcester magnetic filter Commission as per manufacturers instructions"

He did a lengthy powerwash with a vibrating SDS fitting on rads. Loads of black gunk came out into back yard.
He seemed very professional which is why I'm surprised at this...2016-06-30 19.06.00.jpg

Give him a call he may of been pushed for time and slipped his mind, just tell him that you are concerned about the internal finish around the flue. Hopefully he'll put it right or arrange to get it sorted.

Neat enough install bar the sealing of the flue. I would expect it to be done as part of the job, not to a perfect plaster finish but cemented in place so it can be plastered over and decorated at a later date.

No answer from him since contacting yesterday, and he's chucked the boiler in the back court...Old flue pipe sticking out of a bin!
Going to do the filling job myself. What's the best stuff? Fire cement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

J
Much as it’s perfectly possible to punch...
Replies
Views
I'm going to go tomorrow to switch it off for...
Replies
Views
There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
It seems to be a case of having to watch and...
Replies
Views
Back