boiler in basement | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss boiler in basement in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

gas57

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
hi can you fit a combination boiler in a basment area and run the flue in to light well and then use a pluming kit for disposal of flue gases if not how can it be done as there is no where else to fit it any help please

Not sure I fully understand what you mean, but you cant have a flue in a light well.

I agree but you could always use a twin pipe or something like a keston ,

Not sure I fully understand what you mean, but you cant have a flue in a light well.
Im pretty sure you can. As long as the POC are disposed properly. This was a question on my ACS!

A well with a light lol
na not really
a basement where there can be a wall a foot away from a window

Im pretty sure you can. As long as the POC are disposed properly. This was a question on my ACS!

How would you class disposed of properly? I recently had a conversation with Gas Safe about this and they said you cant have a flue in a light well. Trying to define a light well is the real issue in most circumstances.

hi mfgs corgi book page 284 says basement areas light wells and retaining walls no flue termination or terminal shall be sited to discharge within the curtilage or confines of any enclosed basement area light well or external space formed by any retaining wall or passage (unless reasonable provision can be made to ensure the safe disposal of flue gasses thats why i asked if pluming kit would be ok as not sure how it can be done

I think what the op is asking is if they can take comb air from light well and terminate (poss thru means of a plume management kit) above light well in safe location

Its down to the Manufacturer again.
Under normal circumstances this would not be permitted but, Worcester allow you to fit a standard flue 150mm from a window now, with a plum kit carrying away the POC's.
So call the manufacturer for advise!

Can I ask how far up the pluming kit will take the flue gases from your basement installation (my basement is in a 6/7 storey block with a quite largish light well.

Dont forget you will need to discharge condense from boiler, and accomadate prv discharge

Do not site flue terminals within the confines of a basement area, light well, unless you take reasonable steps to ensure POC can disperse safely at all times. One problem being that once one flue gets terminated in the area, then everyone thinks its ok to do so.

Not 7 stories that is a fact it would be down to the manufacturer instructions to were the plumbing kit would emerge from the lightwell

electric boiler?might be the only option without getting into the realms of huge extractor ducting with inlocking fanstheres always a way it can be done its more a case of can you aford it

Electric - after very reliable boiler with flue boost fan working away for years - seems like such a backward step but yes may be inevitable. Phoned the Keston installer after hearing that Ideal Logic might be a possibility and he still feels it is doable on what he saw before but will follow up on whether there just are too many problems and costs which might be uncovered! - never mind that word 'Keston'. Thank you for help.

The manufacturers instructions will not be that specific in the case of light wells. So they will point you towards normative documents (BS5440 part 1) and the gas safety (installation & use) Regulations.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

IMO, the boiler should be derated to ~ 20kw...
Replies
Views
I'm going to go tomorrow to switch it off for...
Replies
Views
Was the oil pressure checked before replacing...
Replies
Views
Yes your oil guy needs to change the flue. No...
Replies
Views
Hello, Ben this is what I thought as it seems...
Replies
Views
Back