Boiler is being loud - sounds like a kettle | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler is being loud - sounds like a kettle in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

orangetree

Hello,

I have a Elson Coral E Open Vented Thermal Store boiler. A couple of weeks it started making loud popping noises when it heated up at night so a plumber came around to drain the tank and change the elements.

Now when it heats up at night it sounds like a loud kettle boiling. That's never happened before, but its so loud it wakes me up and my neighbour can hear it.

The plumber came back to turn the temperature down but can't see anything wrong with the tank, thermostat or elements. Its also not a gradual boiling sound, as soon as it hits 4am the boiler turns on and immediately the kettle boiling sound starts and goes on for 45mins.

Has anyone heard of this before and have a solution?

Thanks!

Probably caused by a film of scale on the heating element. Suggest you contact the manufacturer of the boiler and seek advice.

Thanks for your reply. The elements were replaced last week, so they are brand new with no scale. Also I contacted the manufacturer and they have no answers but to change the elements....which was done.

It's scale . U need to get it descaled or the water isn't moving freely and it's thin film boiling on the elements. Very effective localised heat transfer = boiling at element freezing throughout rest of boiler. Is pump working, what's the water quality like also is store full of water?

Last edited by a moderator:
A trick I came across many years ago to stop boiler noise was to add a squirt of washing up liquid to the water. I guess that this alters the bubble formation dynamics. I don't know if this would help you but, in desperation, it might be worth a try??

Did your plumber fit the elson elements ? I would only fit genuine ones .
The scale will depend on where you are in the country.
I look after a development with 56 apartments all with coral e' s some of the imm heaters are so quiet you don't think they are working , some like yours pop and crack , but the fact your neighbour can here them tells me they are way too noisy.

[DLMURL="http://www.wickes.co.uk/Fernox-F2-Boiler-Noise-Silencer-500ml/p/227670?CAWELAID=120135120000007803&CAGPSPN=pla&catargetid=120135120001173858&cadevice=c&gclid=CNieyI2gyb8CFfOhtAodyXwADQ"]Fernox F2 Boiler Noise Silencer 500ml | Wickes.co.uk[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, thanks for all your replies. In answer to your question

- even with new elements does the whole tank need to be descaled? The plumber put an inhibitor in already
- not sure if the elements are freezing because the first heating session is 4am, the next is 7am which means the elements are warm at that point, then again at 9am which again is warm. 7am and 9am session still makes the loud kettle noise.
- water quality is fine, i live in London so its hard water but i have a softner attached to the boiler
- yes the tank is full...actually the plumber said the level is higher than normal but still ok
- also no idea if the plumber fitted elson elements. Does it make a huge difference?

I've got a different plumber coming tomorrow for a second opinion. A month ago it was all fine, all I could hear was a quiet humming and now it sounds like the boiler will take off.

Thanks

IMO, genuine imm heaters could make the difference, theres only one way of finding out.
Is it as noisy on the boost immersion heater ? rather than the bottom one.

Hi I was just wondering how much did it cost you to replace the Elements and the whole job ? As I have the same cylinder its elements have gone rusted and water started dripping which cause short circuit now I have been told to replace them I just want to know how much they each cost ? And are they easy to get hold off ? Thanks

Sounds like lack of water in the system. Are ALL of the radiators getting warm. And hot water satisfactory?? Sounds like a lack of circulation to the exchange. Or maybe some scale of fur in the system. Is it an old unit??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

H
A professional is needed to diagnose and...
Replies
Views
Sounds like it’s overheating so yes pump or...
Replies
Views
It's not impossible but I doubt that the...
Replies
Views
If this issue was there when you bought the...
Replies
Views
I started a long winded response but deleted...
Replies
Views
Back