Boiler not firing up, or only firing up briefly. | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler not firing up, or only firing up briefly. in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

Hi,

I have a gas wall boiler that's having some issues. Was fine all winter up until now.

The boiler won't stay fired up. It will only fire up if I've left it cold for a few hours, then stops working after 5 minutes. When it turns off, just the pilot light remains on, no matter what level I put the gas to.

As you can imagine it doesn't heat a lot of the house, the two closest radiators get warm at the bottom, then soon after back to stone cold. When left alone, these two rads will drift from warm to stone cold and back again. No other radiators in the house go above stone cold. We have full running hot water the entire time.

I've dusted the inside of the thermostat and checked that the pump is working (at least it's vibrating and making normal noises), checked the mechanical timer is getting electricity to the boiler working and the immersion clock is set to constant.

It's as if the thermostat is set to 15 or something, but it's at 25 (as far as it will go).

Any ideas? Should I try to bypass the thermostat?

Forgot to mention, it's a Stelard Group Ideal W Boiler.

You need to register with the forum to get help.
You will not get advice about gas for obvious reasons, but can ask for someone to take a look

Sounds like it's locking out, likely to be a circulation issue. However, you need to be a member to get answers to your question.
Bear in mind though, nobody will give you any advice regarding anything behind the boiler cover, it's just not safe to fiddle if you're not gas registered, and if someone does give you advice on here and you blow half your street up - they (and the forum owners) will be liable.

Please register with us and start a new thread to receive additional answers to your question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

I don't believe moving the manual lever over...
Replies
Views
A
Sounds like the motorised valve for ufh. If...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
G
If its not producing heat then it's not firing...
Replies
Views
Was the oil pressure checked before replacing...
Replies
Views
Back