boiler not working | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss boiler not working in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pete37a

hi all
what sort of damage can be done to a boiler (unvented) if the gas was turned off accidently but the heating controls were still switched on the timer and the hot taps have been operated ??
I am in a rented place and the land lord has said its going to cost me a bundle as the plumber needs to come back with some bits for the boiler, im getting a bit concerned now.
thanks for any help.
pete.

None whatsoever.

Tell the Landlord you will want a detailed account of the alledged damaged and a detailed account of the costs involved so you can seek advice.

None.

why was the gas turned off?
It should need resetting only. Do not touch anything inside the boiler. What is the make and model?

It shouldn't cost you a penny unless you have been messing with it. That doesn't include accidentally turning off the gas though - all that does is give you cold baths and no heating!

appliances are designed to cope with the gas supply being shut off without warning. They will go into a fault mode which will need resetting by following the manufacturers instructions which can be done by the user.

if you think about the percentage of gas users that have pre pay meters that shut off when the credit runs out you can see its a common thing to happen.

one thing that sometimes happens is the thermal couple may breakdown when it cools as the pilot has gone out. This would not be your fault but just normal wear and tear.

thanks guys
boiler is a KESTON C25 SEALED SYSTYEM
the plumber told the landlord a suitcase handle had caught up on the gas valve handle and turned it off !!!!!!
I wasn't there when he came so ????????
but do know nothing has been touched in that cupboard for over a week and it worked fine till today
I get a detailed report should I post it on here for you guys to look at ??
cheers
pete

As everyone else has said, nowt should have happened, the plumber or landlord is at it.

Plumber and landlord are trying their very best to steal from you.
Tell them you have been here and have advice to prove you've done naught wrong. If they think you have, we are happy to hear their side. There are two sides to every story. You may have ''coloured'' the truth.

Demand to see the engineers qualifications. Then note his card number, while he is there call gas safe. He must also show you his qualifications to be working on unvented system. C25 cannot be damaged by loss if gas. They are absolute scum. Call trading standards. Record it all.

Suitcase handle under the gas valve ?

If the boilers at such a height or in such a position or location surely the landlord/installer should have made provision to protect the exposed controls from forseeable damage ???

Just a thought...

Edit. Note to self
Im thinking gas isloation valve on the boiler. I now think o.p. means ecv

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm wondering if morse or Lewis deduced this absolute pap. Complete conjecture!

If the O.P as tenant reported loss of heating / hot water and the Landlord sent an engineer who diagnosed loss of gas due to valve being closed / partially closed caused a suitcase against it, then the Landlord would be reasonable in charging for the visit.

If the engineer whilst there determining the boiler was safe to leave discovered parts were required it would be very unreasonable to charge for the parts and the full cost of the engineers initial visit.

So if the fault was suitcase only,, full charge for engineers time only, providing it can be proven i.e photos?

If subsequent faults were found and parts required, those faults would have been there anyway and would have needed fixing at the Landlords expense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

P
Tricky situation for you. Boiler shouldn't...
Replies
Views
He’s never had any one look at the gas or...
Replies
Views
Look at a Viessman 222 10 year manufacturers...
Replies
Views
I feel for you, it's a bad position to be in...
Replies
Views
Back