Boiler pressure question | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler pressure question in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chrisnewton

Hi all

First post on here so go easy on me lol.

Basically I moved into my house about 8 years ago and we had a ferroli boiler, it was fine and did the job fine, however it had one problem. I always had to top the pressure up as it kept dropping to half a bar. I'd top it up to 1 bar and within a week it would drop to half a bar, however never any lower and even at half a bar it worked fine.

Anyways the boiler broke and we have just got a new one an ideal logic plus. We have had it a week and again the same thing is happening it started of at 1 bar but now it's down to half again.

After reading around it sounds like we have a leak somewhere but if this was the case would we have not seen something by now if it's been going on for 8 years? Also if it was a leak would it not drop to zero?

I know the real answer is to get a plumber out and of course I'm probably going to have to but I have always imagined a plumber trying to find a leak could take hours if not days? And be expensive?

Does this sound like an expensive job? Will floor boards etc need to be pulled up?

Thanks for any advice

Chris

Leak or your expansion is under sized.

does the pressure rise to 2 or 3 bar during opperation?

if it is a leak, after that long you can almost guarantee it will be in the ground floor

Leak or your expansion is under sized.

does the pressure rise to 2 or 3 bar during opperation?

if it is a leak, after that long you can almost guarantee it will be in the ground floor

Hi thanks for the reply what does expansion undersized mean?

How many radiators have you?
How big is the house?
How high the gauge rise to when the heating is on?
Are the downstairs floors concrete or wood?

As above. I'd be suspecting a leak under the floor somewhere. Maybe you could try a leak sealer to add to you system although they aren't great.

Next time the heating is on I will check to see what it's going up too.. I'm not sure if it's concrete or wood! Never looked! It's over 100 years old the house so I'm guessing wood? If it's Concrete would that not make it impossible to find a way leak?

One thing I have noticed is one of the radiators on the valve thing that you can turn to turn the radiator on or off there was a few drops of water on it. But really wasn't a lot.

Next time the heating is on I will check to see what it's going up too.. I'm not sure if it's concrete or wood! Never looked! It's over 100 years old the house so I'm guessing wood? If it's Concrete would that not make it impossible to find a way leak?

One thing I have noticed is one of the radiators on the valve thing that you can turn to turn the radiator on or off there was a few drops of water on it. But really wasn't a lot.

Only has to be a small leak to drop it by half a bar over a week.
get the plumber to start there

dont add leak sealer unless you can help it.

where are you based?

stand in the living room and stamp your foot on the floor, you should be able to tell if its wood or concrete!

It may just be weeping somewhere and it takes a certain pressure to force the water out of said weep.

It may not leak if the pressure is below 0.5 bar, sounds like it could just need the gland nut tightening on the rad valve with the dribble. I'm in Teesside, give me a PM if you want me to come and have a look.

It may not leak if the pressure is below 0.5 bar, sounds like it could just need the gland nut tightening on the rad valve with the dribble. I'm in Teesside, give me a PM if you want me to come and have a look.

previous posts show he knows his stuff, jump at it

Sounds like the gland nut on valve needs a slight tighten. Upload a picture.

uploadfromtaptalk1395081263160.jpg

Hopefully you can see this pic, under the grey knob that you turn it had a few drops of water, I closed it and didn't feel any water but the pressure still dropped a little

Ok heating is on and it gets to just below 2 bar, is that too high?

Ok heating is on and it gets to just below 2 bar, is that too high?
Check your boiler manual for correct pressure settings.
However, I'd say you're too high; as a guesstimate, I'd say between 1-1.5bar.
If you've no manual, go online and do a search for make and model number pressure setting.
Anyway, the pressure will drop, due to the leak.

Last edited:
Id start saving and get the rest of your system updated to match your new boiler and just put up with topping up for a while.

If you bought a new car you wouldn't drive it round with old seats in.

BTW, if its 2 bar when its hot it wont hurt but you realy don't want it going any higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Np Simon. Hoping to get the boiler engineer...
Replies
Views
That means you have a leak as the system...
Replies
Views
the pressure of my boiler looks unstable...
Replies
Views
You might have a EV (expansion vessel)...
Replies
Views
Thanks for the reply, I’ll try your...
Replies
Views
Back