Boiler Pressure where is the filling loop? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler Pressure where is the filling loop? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

webinteractions

Hi all,

Brief description of problem, upstairs radiators (4 in total) bottom half are hot. I have tried bleeding, heating it up again and repeating the process but not improving the situation. So i Googled around to find someone suggesting the boiler pressure hence my question..

My boiler is running at 1bar, which seems to be OK but i thought i'd top up the pressure to see if it helps before calling out an expert. The boiler instructions are referring to taps to open supposed to be connected to the pipes leading into the boiler, unfortunately I do not have any taps. I have included pictures of all the pipe work leading to the boiler. Can anyone spot how i might go about increasing the pressure?

The boiler is valliant ecotech pro 28 combi boiler.

1. Pipes furthest awy from boiler mounted on wall.
1_Wall_Pipes.jpg
2. Pipes from the wall leading to boiler.
2_LeadingToBoiler.jpg
3.Pipes connected to under side of boiler.
3_ConnectedToBoiler.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there, your system should be at 1bar when cold and 1.5 -2 when heatings on so the fact your at 1 bar should be fine , its sounds like a circulation problem either the pumps struggling or the system needs balancing ,,, what to do is close all the downstair rads and put heating on to see if it forces is upstair,

If you need to top up then just below your boiler there are 2 silver valves that go to nothing , you should have a silver braided hose lying about that joins these 2 valves ,, once the hose is attatched you can open the valves to start topping up,,,
Im just looking at your pipework and although it will work its a lot of resistance those tight elbows under the boiler so id say balancing it should do the trick.

Hi Kris, Thank you so much for your speedy reply. I have closed off all radiators down stairs using both sides of the valves and i even went one further and closed of all radiators upstairs apart from one radiator to see if that helped heat up the radiator but unfortunately the radiator was still only half hot.

I realised the problem when i started balancing the radiators. I was going top up the radiator to 1.5 bar, you don't think i should?

yeh you can if you like , have you a filter on the heating like a magnaclean or spirotech , if not then your system maybe needs flushing out ,,,

Kris, are these the valves you were referring to when connecting the pipe to increase the pressure? See image with red box around.

1_CloseLoopValves.jpg1_CloseLoopValves.jpg

Hmmm filter - magnaclean or spirotech is out of my knowledge..I'm googling now in th ehope i can answer your question.

Having had a quick google around i am pretty sure i do NOT have a filter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another point to make is that when bleeding the radiators upstairs i am never met with any amount of water. Small amount of air and then nothing.

Yeh thats them, if your not getting any water out the rad then put the hose on and top up until you get water out the bleed valve,, to get 1 bar upstair youd need 1.5 down, so yeh give it a top up,

Looks like a Spirotech on your second image in the first post (the big brass thing below the smaller silver ball) Probably worth checking it and emptying out any sludge/debris caught up in there.

Looks like a Spirotech on your second image in the first post (the big brass thing below the smaller silver ball) Probably worth checking it and emptying out any sludge/debris caught up in there.

tbh better replacing the unit as there cack

Are you sure you have 1 bar in the system? pressure gauge could well be faulty/blocked and not showing correct reading
Connect a braided hose on the fill valves, open them and see if the gauge moves, if not call a GSR to repair or replace gauge
Probably why you only get a small amount of air out of rads when you vent them.....there's no water pressure in the system

if theres no water coming out of the air vents and the boiler is showing 1 bar the guage is stuck youll need a gsr to change it as its inside the case

Funny you should mention the gauge as I don't believe it's working correctly (electronic read out I'm referring to).

Before I started filling up the system it read 1.0. After I finished filling it up it read 1.5 and all seemed great. Annoyingly I left it for a few hours to come back to find a reading of over 3. The damn valve tap is a bit dodgy and had been filling up the system. I won't be leaving the close loop hose connected again.

I bled the radiators to relieve some pressure and got it down to 1.5 again, tried switching the heating on to find a F75 error code display. It read 1.5 on electronic read out but on gauge was at the lowest point. I switched on three times while running the hot water to tap to no use. I went upstairs to bleed the radiators to check if water came out, none did. So I guessed the system didn't have enough pressure. The only thing that fixed it was to top up the system with a little more water, as I didn't trust the pressure gauge I did it little by little, each time switching the boiler on and it worked.

Confusing. The gauge is now 1.8 with heating on?! Thanks for all your replies, all very much appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

The two red valves with brass caps on eg the...
Replies
Views
Again, ongoing thanks. I'll have to get to my...
Replies
Views
the op says no water in prv balloon so not prv...
Replies
Views
K
Either pipe blocked or expansion vessel too small
Replies
Views
Thank you for the detailed and considered...
Replies
Views
Back