Combi above toilet | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Combi above toilet in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hobo128

Gas Engineer
Customer wants combi fitting in bathroom above toilet. Is this aload. If so which where will I find the regs for it.

Thanks

seen loads done, wouldnt like to go for pee when i had a few though!!!

actually, you say bathroom! i am refering to toilet w.c. only.

bathrooms require the boiler to be within a seperate room ie, cupboard.

Last edited by a moderator:
The MI's will state clearances, etc...

But, why on earth would you choose to have your boiler above the toilet, going to be some sort heads getting up off the throne!

In all MIs it gives you zones in bathrooms where they can be fitted . Seen a few aswell in bathrooms but never above the throne. In my eyes thats crazy.

Customer wants combi fitting in bathroom above toilet. Is this aload. If so which where will I find the regs for it.

Thanks

Yes, can be done. MI.

BS 6798:2009 Specification for installation and maintenance of gas-fired boilers of rated input not exceeding 70 kW net

and

17TH EDITION IET WIRING regs BS 7671: 2008 with AMENDMENT NO 1: 2011

I thought the reason boilers were put in cupboards in bathrooms was to stop someone touching the controls and water at the same time I think it's more an electrical issue,

I once worked on an estate where the boilers were above the toilet in very long narrow rooms about 10 foot long with wc at the far end an basin right next to the door couldn't understand why you would want a boiler above your head when doing the biz

Last edited:
As far as I am aware no cupboard/division reqired as long as within the zones permitted. If so, no reason why cannot fit in toilet. Confirm with manufacturer!

Examples:

BAXI Duo-tec Combi HE a Range is IPX0D (with timer) and IPX5D (without timer). If this boiler not fitted with any optional integral timer or thermostat, it can be fitted in zone 2. That’s in MI. So, no cupboard needed.

GREENSTAR CDi CLASSIC is IPX4D. A boiler fitted with a non-mechanical timer or with no timer can be installed in zone 2 or outside the shaded area . A boiler with a mechanical timer or RF mechanical timer with room thermostat must only be installed outside the shaded area (outside zone 2). Additional RCD (Residual Current Device) protection may be required. Refer to the latest IEE wiring regulations.
NOTICE: Any switch or appliance control using 230 V mains electricity must not be able to be touched by a person using the bath or shower. Electrical switches, fused spur and socket outlets must not be situated in the bathroom.

Again, that’s from the MI. No cupboard needed, unless a customer wants one.

As the regs tell us - boiler installation in a bathroom or shower room should only be considered if there is no alternative location.

From current BS 7671:2008 – the 17[SUP]th [/SUP]electrical regs:

Part 7 SPECIAL INSTALLATIONS OR LOCATIONS, PARTICULAR REQUIREMENTS
Section 701 LOCATIONS CONTAINING A BATH OR SHOWER

701.5 Selection and erection of equipment
701.512.2 External influences
Installed electrical equipment shall have at least the following degree of protection:

1. In zone 0: IPX7
  2. In zones 1 and 2: IPX4

Here’s one more:

BAXI Solo is IPX2. If the boiler is fitted in a room containing a bath or shower it MUST NOT BE fitted in zone 0, 1 or 2, ONLY within the shaded area - that’s outside the zones.

A boiler with suitable IP number is not an issue in zone 2, it’s a switchgear and controlgear are giving us a grief. Accessories in zone 2 must not have switches or socket outlets. A cable outlet plate is permitted.

From the 17[SUP]th[/SUP]:
Part 7 SPECIAL INSTALLATIONS OR LOCATIONS, PARTICULAR REQUIREMENTS

Section 701 LOCATIONS CONTAINING A BATH OR SHOWER

701.5 Selection and erection of equipment

701.512.3 Erection of switchgear, controlgear and accessories according to external influences
The following requirements do not apply to switches and controls which are incorporated in fixed current-using equipment suitable for use in that zone or to insulating pull cords or cord operated switches.

In zone2:
Switchgear, accessories incorporating switches or socket-outlets shall not be installed with exception of:

(i) Switches and socket-outlets of SELV circuits, the safety source being installed outside zones 0, 1 and 2,

(ii) Shaver supply units complying with BS EN 61558-1-5.

… sockets-outlets are prohibited within a distance of 3 m horizontally from the boundary of zone 1.

Definition:

Accessory
. A device, other than current-using equipment, associated with such equipment or with the wiring of an installation.

SELV (separated extra low voltage). An extra-low voltage system which is electrically separated from Earth and from other systems in such a way that a single fault cannot give rise to the risk of electric shock.

Last edited:
I should be enjoying the Sun today! :vanish:

Last one (he said).

It’s all about safety. What will stop a customer being in a bath tub to open a boiler cupboard door in zone 2 (even if the door opens towards the bath and has a lock on it) and reach for that switch or control gear on the wall? How tall a cupboard door should be!? I wouldn’t put my name on it - wanna sleep well and enjoy the sun, sometimes. :smiley2:
A permanent partition (as in the 17th) will sort it out – and it’ll be outside zone 2.

Could always plumb the condensate straight into the cistern of the wc.

Would certainly help to dissolve some of more stubborn Bizmarcks.

save a load on kitchen knives

Last edited by a moderator:
So it looks like wer are going for fitting it above the bog. I'll double check with the Manufacturer but it's the only reasonably practicable place it can go.

Thanks all.

In any diagram I remember seeing the zoned areas never included the WC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

You have a partial blockage downstream of the...
Replies
Views
Either buy the correct one at the higher cost...
Replies
Views
Well persevered, it is always worth the extra...
Replies
Views
Thank you mate, really appreciated that. I...
Replies
Views
Back