Combi Boiler, 'True [True?] Weld, Leaks & Pressure. | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Combi Boiler, 'True [True?] Weld, Leaks & Pressure. in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

anovice

Hi all,

Today a national organisation came to fit a new Combi Boiler to our 1969 four bed house. When the engineer arrived he explained that he could not proceed with fitting a Combi because of something called true weld, something used in the 60's as a Copper subst. This was translated through my other half, I'm guessing that maybe there's two types of pipe material joined together with this stuff?; Google gave me no joy.

So we're now faced with (a) unsightly pipes downstairs, they've lifted a board upstairs and cannot see this stuff but obviously won't guarantee its not there and therefore no leaks, or (b) a conventional Boiler to replace the tripping out 30year old unit - hence the reason for change.

My reason for initially asking for a Combi was (a) to be rid of the minging tanks in the roof and (b) only have hot water when I need it.

So does the reason for not being able to fit a Combi sound like something J.K Rowling would write, or is there any substance to it?

Cheers, Lee.

get somebody else in to quote with replacing the "trueweld" nothing is impossible!!!

hehe they cant see it but might be there to cause leaks..gotta love a 'Get of jail free card'. Not sure what true weld on heating is but seen old 60's houses with rigid plastic that copes fine on the hot and cold (still use a similar thing on industrial sites called abs). only other copper option ive seen was stainless steel.

Last edited by a moderator:
trueweld was a steel pipe with a coating to prevent corrosion fitted during copper shortages a lot was badly soldered and its prone to corrosion i cant see why if they cant see any they suspect its there maybe they can see it in the loft if it is present your probably going to have to replace it as powerflushing is likley to case it to leak personally i would fit the boiler with a signed disclaimer regarding leaks and futer pressure loss
i doubt the fitter was to pleased as he has probably lost a days money so i would assume there is evidence
if your boiler is 30 years old i would accept its had its day bite the bullet and change the system

Here we go again just about my time trueweld, fitted miles of it as you would expect a baldy git to do, funny how its still not leaked for you or other who had the house before you, it was more like to rot from the outside and you see all the system was steel and no copper it did have some advantages, it came out on the market when copper price went through the roof, you had to use all compression fitting.

Like Jase says get some else in to change the boiler are you in the Manchester area I probably installed it ehhhhhh, be interesting to see what the water is like in the system, you could get it all replaced with copper but hell why.

Another day at the office.

Baldy Old git.

It rots mainly from the inside out so you can't tell by looking at it apart from the odd rust spot.
If copper capilliary fittings were used (which up this way 90% of were) they were soldered using phosphorous flux which was never wiped off and the only time anything was flushed back then was if you had a leak which didn't help.
Most of it was being ripped out less than 10 years after fitting.
I wouldn't pressurise it even with a disclaimer.
Btw if it is an old Servowarm job with the original rads (dimpled on the back) they will all pop if you pressurise them.

If the pipework was all installed 45 years ago rip it out and put new in as it will be past its best and why wait for it to spring a leak meaning 2 lots of upheavel.

It makes me laugh people will change a bathroom or kitchen every so often when there is nothing wrong with the existing it just looks a bit dated. When it comes to heating people want to scrimp and save on the thing that keeps them warm during the winter and keeps them clean all through out the year. Spend some money and have a new system or if the radiators are modern ones just replace the boiler and pipework then you will have peace of mind for a few years.

Yes the pipework may look a bit unsightly for some people I myself quite like seeing some nice well run pipework (I know I'm sad) You could always run the pipework down in some trunking then you only have the pipework at the bottom to look at, or if you really hate pipework that much chase the walls out run microbore down the walls and either have it come out where the valves are or behind the radiator have the walls skimmed and the paint job sorted.

would replace pipework as well as boiler. doesnt make sense have new boiler and potentially crappy leaking pipes in few weeks/days

Thanks everybody - decision made, wallet out - new pipes; thanks for the point re the rads, most look fairly new but I'll get new if they're considered remotely dodgy.

Thanks again, Lee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Well a week today since boiler played up 5...
Replies
Views
Then by the sounds of it its time to replace...
Replies
Views
Thanks - it's definitely the condensate pipe...
Replies
Views
Back