Coming into the oil side | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

• Thread starter smtplumbing
  • Start date
  • Replies 3
  • Views 793

Discuss Coming into the oil side in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

smtplumbing

well i had not planned to do oil, but I now have a contract coming up that now that i need my oil ticket,

Had a look over the jobs yesterday, few things stood out but totally not 100 percent, I no a few things about oil but I am certainly not a expert.

If an oil pipe runs externally on a outside wall which the copper and is covered in plastic coating is the oil pipe allowed to be covered eg External wall installation ( the tiger loop was not covered)

If you need extend the oil pipe do you need to re cover the copper or repipe.

If anyone was any information about oil either on here on book based i would be have to sort something out for you guys.

Am in the training center next week.

Any helpful tips welcome thanks guys

TBH, I am not sure. I don't think there would be any issue with casing in an oil pipe that has no joints on it. Any bare copper oil pipe outside should be just the same as a bare copper gas pipe - as long as it is not touching anything that could corrode it (walls, ground, etc) it would be fine. You could obviously push a sleeve over it first before connecting to it, or denso tape it. As you probably are aware, you are not allowed soldered joints on oil lines. If using ordinary compression you are supposed to use inserts to support the soft copper pipe, although many don't. Oil hoses are not to be outside boiler casing.
Oil pipes going underground need inside another pipe - I use the plastic coated copper oil pipe, but I also fit it inside a 25mm water pipe & bring that up each end above ground or floor level & seal outside ends with silicone to stop rain water entering it. You can use the special plastic oil pipes with their proper inserts but not allowed to inside buildings. KBB fire valve needs fitted outside as you know & I think the rules are that it has to be at least a metre from any boiler house.
Tigerloops have to be fitted outside any building, boiler house etc, but you can fit the Bio Tigerloop inside which you can put a 10mm copper vent pipe from the top of it to outside. More expensive but neater & no cost of an ugly box to cover it outside then needed.
OFTEC didn't really teach much in my experience & the rules are in the books.

Last edited:
The only thing with encasing is sleeving, oh and no joints unless access is provided.

If your worried about insulating the copper feed, there is no need.
Oil has to be -30 or something before it freezes, filters clogged with dirt and muck on the other hand do freeze, so keep them clean!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Thanks much appreciated , yes those isolation...
Replies
Views
All sorted now and running better than ever...
Replies
Views
Yes your oil guy needs to change the flue. No...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Pipe moved...Temporarily fed back...
Replies
Views
Expansion vessel undersized, blocked flexi to...
Replies
Views
Back