Draining Hot and Cold supply on Combi Boiler | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Draining Hot and Cold supply on Combi Boiler in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Job for dad

Hi there,

I am a new member to this forum and hope to receive some general plumbing advice. Over the years I have carried out various basic plumbing jobs at my house with an indirect fed supply gas boiler system, fitting new bathroom suites, kitchen sinks ,washing machine supply etc.

Now my daughter has a new starter home equipped with a combo boiler and she wants the bath taps changed for a shower mixer tap. My question is to drain the hot and cold supply to the bathroom taps do I simply turn off the mains water stopcock, switch off the electric supply to the combo boiler and turn on the hot taps or is there more to it than that?

welcome to the forum.

yes your correct. wata off, power off, open hot and cold taps downstairs, open all taps upstairs. Tmv valve may not allow hot tap to drain on bath but will only be a small amount of water. make sure you fit double check valves when you change the tap unless they are already fitted.

What a good post 'job for dad' you seem reallty quite experienced and your
query and plan is spot on. I think you are looking for a 'deck mixer' bathtap unit
Have a look at BES Birmingham - Electric Avenue before you buy -they are
mail order and top boys- dealt with them for years and sensible prices
Centralheatking
Hi there,

I am a new member to this forum and hope to receive some general plumbing advice. Over the years I have carried out various basic plumbing jobs at my house with an indirect fed supply gas boiler system, fitting new bathroom suites, kitchen sinks ,washing machine supply etc.

Now my daughter has a new starter home equipped with a combo boiler and she wants the bath taps changed for a shower mixer tap. My question is to drain the hot and cold supply to the bathroom taps do I simply turn off the mains water stopcock, switch off the electric supply to the combo boiler and turn on the hot taps or is there more to it than that?

welcome to the forum.

yes your correct. wata off, power off, open hot and cold taps downstairs, open all taps upstairs. Tmv valve may not allow hot tap to drain on bath but will only be a small amount of water. make sure you fit double check valves when you change the tap unless they are already fitted.

Hi AW,

I just want to confirm something about your post if that's ok? (I've just passed the 6035 so I'm still wet behind the ears).

The reason for opening the taps is to drain the residual water? I would have thought nothing would really come out since turning off the water at the main stop valve. And being that the hot water is instantaneous from the combi so there's no storage. So it's made me think and question myself. The rest of the post I fully understood (thankfully).

I'm very aware I may get pounced on being a fledgling and all. But I'm eager to learn as much as I can so I'll stick my neck on the chopping block and bite the bullet! ;)

Cheers

The pipe run alone will store plenty of water to cause a mess. Opening a hot tap down stairs and the hot taps upstairs should drain most of it out, leaving you free to cut in to the pipework or remove taps etc. 1 tap is not normally enough on a combi or unvented as there is no vent so without opening multiple taps ideally on different floors the water in the pipe will be held as there is no open end to draw air in through. Same applies to cold taps if mains fed.

Last edited:
The pipe run alone will store plenty of water to cause a mess. Opening a hot tap down stairs and the hot taps upstairs should drain most of it out, leaving you free to cut in to the pipework or remove taps etc. 1 tap is not normally enough on a combi or unvented as there is no vent so without opening multiple taps ideally on different floors the water in the pipe will be held as there is no open end to draw air in through. Same applies to cold taps if mains fed.

Gotcha! Thanks for the reply, much appreciated ;)

Personally,
I wouldn't turn the water off - I would just freeze the piping, olive connectors and flexi's.

Don't have to drain the system, don't have to bleed / flush the system and the customer can still use the water as you are doing the work.

Personally,
I wouldn't turn the water off - I would just freeze the piping, olive connectors and flexi's.

Don't have to drain the system, don't have to bleed / flush the system and the customer can still use the water as you are doing the work.

Its poinltess, it's a 1 min job to turn off the water and drain and a 1 min job to turn back on and remove air. Pointless spending money freezing pipework on a small simple system. I fact freezing would make the job take a lot longer. There should be isolation valves on the bath taps anyway if the house has been plumbed to meet water regs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

L
That shouldn't happen. Going to need lots of...
Replies
Views
Oil fired combis I think produce DHW at ~ 80C...
Replies
Views
Ok, thanks will let here leave it is
Replies
Views
Thanks CJG, I understand what you're saying. I...
Replies
Views
M
I have a viessman vitodens 222F combi storage...
Replies
Views
Max Hill
M
Back