ever fitted a 'used' boiler? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss ever fitted a 'used' boiler? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

armyash

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Just received an email from someone asking me to fit a 'used' boiler. Potterton Kingfisher, straight swap as he is unable to buy a new one. :/

Is this even legal?

I wont be touching it, it's not worth the risk, might not even work lol

You can't do it mate.

All new boilers have to be condensing now anyways.

It all sounds a bit dodgy to me, plus you have to think of the repercussions if anything went wrong.

Obviously someone too tight to pay out for a new boiler and probably think they know best.

It's not a job I will be touching.

Obviously someone too tight to pay out for a new boiler and probably think they know best.

It's not a job I will be touching.

Its best to not touch it mate.

No no doubt someone will do it, but atleast you can sleep at night :)

Just replied with the following.

Thanks for your enquiry. Unfortunately this is not a job that I would be happy doing. The boiler you have mentioned would not meet current standards. Also there's the possibility that the appliance is unsafe or not working correctly and I would be unable to tell until I have installed it and have it working. It could develop a fault very shortly after being installed that could put your health at risk and I would be the one to get in trouble should anything happen.

Sorry I am unable to help, I'm sure someone will fit it for you although I would advise against having this boiler fitted.

Have relocated boilers in same property but not like that and not if it's ancient,
what are these people on.

TB 014 is your best friend here Ash. I would probably been a fair bit more blunt with the cretin,.

You can't do it mate.

All new boilers have to be condensing now anyways.

It all sounds a bit dodgy to me, plus you have to think of the repercussions if anything went wrong.

Not technically true that in every case a condensing boiler must be fitted, there is an exemption criteria whereby some installations can still have a non condenser if it meets the points total
Probably won't be the case here but it could be, however a more serious issue would be taking responsibility for a second hand appliance, without knowing the condition of it,
There is a massive market in the Glasgow area for brand new non condensers, with a well know chain reporting that they sell many 100's every month, I know they won't all be going in places which meet the criteria but at least they are new and it's keeping the cost down for the customers, I believe you can get a Vokera standard efficiency boiler, flue and mech clock for under £450

Forgive me father for I have sinned. I have fitted a 2nd hand boiler before. When I need to feed my family I feed my family. Let those without sin cast the first stone.

I too have sinned brother. It was a myson panda or velaire. Changed the shell. Pressure tested it first though.

But I have also turned them down.

But these are oil :)

Not technically true that in every case a condensing boiler must be fitted, there is an exemption criteria whereby some installations can still have a non condenser if it meets the points total
Probably won't be the case here but it could be, however a more serious issue would be taking responsibility for a second hand appliance, without knowing the condition of it,
There is a massive market in the Glasgow area for brand new non condensers, with a well know chain reporting that they sell many 100's every month, I know they won't all be going in places which meet the criteria but at least they are new and it's keeping the cost down for the customers, I believe you can get a Vokera standard efficiency boiler, flue and mech clock for under £450

Mr Central Heating FTW :lol:

Ive fitted a few oil SE boilers. But I have the paperwork to show I did the points scoring to enable them to be fitted. But then again that paperwork tends to show anything you want it to.

I'd rather fit a piece of 2" pipe up my anus than fit a 2nd hand gas boiler ;)

No No No and Never unless its really good and in your house Centralheatking
Just received an email from someone asking me to fit a 'used' boiler. Potterton Kingfisher, straight swap as he is unable to buy a new one. :/

Is this even legal?

I wont be touching it, it's not worth the risk, might not even work lol

Not just Glasgow - not us tho honestly CHK

There is a massive market in the Glasgow area for brand new non condensers, with a well know chain reporting that they sell many 100's every month, I know they won't all be going in places which meet the criteria but at least they are new and it's keeping the cost down for the customers

The same thing is true in Merseyside, Leicester and several other cities apparently.

Why only certain cities??

Dunno. I think its probably habit.

Back when the regs changed, all the merchants round our way simply stopped selling SE boilers, cold turkey. I think if any one merchant had continued, it would have created a demand, and we would have all had to.

Are there any decent se combis being made or available?

Not fiitted second hand only re-fitted older ones in different positions of homes, some of the older boilers arent that easy as new ones for disconnecting , moving and re-fitting,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Thanks for both replies - so the search is on...
Replies
Views
We've just sorted one of these situations...
Replies
Views
A new boiler will have a full warranty. The...
Replies
Views
Unfortunately I can't see a crack. It could be...
Replies
Views
J
I've seen a few with boxed in flues and they...
Replies
Views
Back