had new boiler fitted, confused as to why they ran the gas pipe the way it is. | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss had new boiler fitted, confused as to why they ran the gas pipe the way it is. in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
had a plumber install a new boiler over the last couple of days. and slightly confused as to the way they have run the 28mm gas pipe.

weve had the boiler fitted in an upstairs cupboard. so they said they would run the gas pipe up the wall and through the loft. ok I said. well when they had finished I found I had a verticle couple of metres up the wall from the gas metre, then it 45's across the house (crossing the SWA DC feed from my solar), and into the loft. it looks ****. then once in the loft it goes straight across to the second (old external wall) where were some breeze blocks missing for a crawl space. it then 90 and is clipped along this wall until it 90 again then along the top of a joist then 90 again to the boiler pipe, where it 90 down into the cupboard.

now I said couldn't you just have gone straight up the outside wall 90 into the loft then drill through the old wall and keep going until you hit the boiler? nice reasonably straight run.

he said they couldn't as it would mean sleeving it again. what does this mean and am I just getting fobbed off? if its not allowed under gas regs then ill have to put up with it I guess.

ill get some pics sorted.

what annoys me is this is the second plumber ive used to do a job who then seems to want to bugger things up instead of just doing a good job.

while this one was here he sorted the unvented vent that the other plumber had just dropped into the down pipe for the conservatory. at least that's now right.

Last edited:
sounds like a engineer orientation problem to me,have you any strong magnets in the roof or strange gravitational pulls,if so can have a devastating effect,as you have found,happened back in the 60's big time with whales being washed up on beached miles off their normal course due to us navy experiments with the above for mentioned..failing that ..maybe try a breathalizer...

Yeh maybe his pipe-directometer wasnt zero'ed of perhaps it picked up a false north pole as a datum.

North poles can be a problem this time of year due to the extra activity caused by christmas. Something to do with santas elves coming out of hibernation and feeling the love for each other...

Last edited by a moderator:
sounds like a engineer orientation problem to me,have you any strong magnets in the roof or strange gravitational pulls,if so can have a devastating effect,as you have found,happened back in the 60's big time with whales being washed up on beached miles off their normal course due to us navy experiments with the above for mentioned..failing that ..maybe try a breathalizer...

Yeh maybe his pipe-directometer wasnt zero'ed of perhaps it picked up a false north pole as a datum.

North poles can be a problem this time of year due to the extra activity caused by christmas. Something to do with santas elves coming out of hibernation and feeling the love for each other...

Have you two been sniffing ajax?

heres a pic:

20151211_082056.jpg

Last edited:
Not the worst but a daft way of doing it. Couldn't he of come along further horizontal then gone vertical? Or just stayed vertical and drilled a new hole. Gas pipes shouldn't really cross cables if possible.

my thought was what if the panels get hit by lightening I would have thought the power going down that cable might like the look of a nice copper earthed pipe.

An absolute eyesore! I wouldn't live with that on my house. No reason for it what so ever. Looks cack.

because hes gone this way there is actually more bends overall and a longer pipe run. if he had said ive only got one sleeve, I would have nipped out and got another one.

Untitled.jpg

because hes gone this way there is actually more bends overall and a longer pipe run. if he had said ive only got one sleeve, I would have nipped out and got another one.

View attachment 24158

You don't need special sleeves normally 1 1/2 plastic waste pipe

Christ, a short horizontal run from the meter to allow the main run to be completely vertical would've been better, it's a pig's ear.

What's on the loft wall left of the gas pipe. If the workings for the solar then he would have kept away from that but to 45 it looks awful

As far as displays of poor workmanship goes this doesnt make that list at all. Yes it could have been done abit better (and ALOT worse) but at the end of the day its all about working gas pressure at boiler. Without adequate pressure your boiler cant be signed off. So many boilers are put in these days with no regards to gas pipe and pressure. Money down the drain.

If you want to see what bad work looks like check out the hall of shame thread

As far as displays of poor workmanship goes this doesnt make that list at all. Yes it could have been done abit better (and ALOT worse) but at the end of the day its all about working gas pressure at boiler. Without adequate pressure your boiler cant be signed off. So many boilers are put in these days with no regards to gas pipe and pressure. Money down the drain.

If you want to see what bad work looks like check out the hall of shame thread

So as a paying customer you would accept this quality of work?

also doesn't a gas line have to be atleast 25-50mm away from any elec line ;)

So as a paying customer you would accept this quality of work?

Its not if I accept or not its that I have no excuse! What could I say "I dont like that 45, im not gona pay you"

I hear things like this every day from customers...just today was scrutinised by customer about a "bent" pipe. Had to tell him what benders were and their purpose..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

We've just sorted one of these situations...
Replies
Views
Unfortunately the fitting of a new Venturi did...
Replies
Views
It doesn’t look like the internal pipe has...
Replies
Views
I feel for you, it's a bad position to be in...
Replies
Views
Something as simple as turning the power off...
Replies
Views
Back