Heat only or system boiler? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Heat only or system boiler? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JR EWING

Dear all,

Just about to have a new boiler installed at my property and i am unsure whether to keep the present set up, which is an open vent heat only boiler OR opt for an open vent sealed system boiler.

I have read conflicting opinions regarding this, with some people suggesting that if the current system is working fine then simply swap the old boiler for a new one, whereas others have suggested that a system boiler would be a better choice.

Had an installer come round and he suggested switching to a system boiler. He said that the installation costs would be a little higher but i could keep the existing hot water cylinder and get rid of one of the header tanks in the loft.

It's a 4 bed property, 12 rads, one bathroom and downstairs WC.

Any advice would be much appreciated,

Thanks

My personal preference would be a system boiler dude. Less air locks and spotting pressure drops is easier :)

I agree with IDCHAPPY in general but be aware that old pipework can sometimes leak when converted to a pressurised system.

On the other hand heat only boilers are simpler and you don't end up paying a premium for pumps, exp vessels. And they can be sized correctly for the system.

My ideal solution would be a heat only boiler on a sealed system

On the other hand heat only boilers are simpler and you don't end up paying a premium for pumps, exp vessels. And they can be sized correctly for the system.

+1 for a heat only and a new pump in current location.

seal the system if possible too

if you have pipes buried in concrete or screed i would not seal the system to presurised.

But heat only u need expansion and filling loop and pumps not covered by manufacturers warranty. Ideal logic + system 7 years wozza! Plus if your pump not next to boiler your going to need an additional cable pulled in for the pump overrun.

Last edited by a moderator:
But heat only u need expansion and filling loop and pumps not covered by manufacturers warranty. Ideal logic + system 7 years wozza! Plus if your pump not next to boiler your going to need an additional cable pulled in for the pump overrun.

Not all heat only' s need the additional cable for the pump over run. The Baxi solo/ Potterton gold for instance.

X3 as Roger says

If prob go for a new heat only boiler and controls, but seal the system.

This should keep costs down a bit, improve your ch system performance, but make any future replacement pumps etc cheaper.

Chances are there's already pump overrun wiring in place, unless it's a Solo that's in at the moment. If this is the case then a system boiler is better than running new wiring.

Good point about the warranty too Ermintrude, never thought of that!

If prob go for a new heat only boiler and controls, but seal the system.

This should keep costs down a bit, improve your ch system performance, but make any future replacement pumps etc cheaper.

Thank you for the replies, all useful info as i just want to get a reliable boiler and decent installation.

How would an installer seal the system? At the moment i have an open vent system, vented hot water cylinder and two water tanks in loft.

The boiler i am considering is the WB Greenstar 15ri, however i have read reviews that say that the heat exchange plate on this model is prone to corrosion and it has a lot of plastic components....would the Vaillant Ecotec Plus 415 be a better choice? Or perhaps the Glow Ultracom 15 hxi?

Vaillant over worcester any day, but they're both overpriced.

Ideal Logic heat only is a top boiler but a little on the big side.

Now this has just made me make my mind up. All parts included in warranty and no extra cable to run. Beauty!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Stick with heat only. You most probably still...
Replies
Views
Any gas boiler's HEX can stand a static head...
Replies
Views
A
Are you sure it’s still vented? Should have...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Who said plastic 28/22mm copper tube and mlcp...
Replies
Views
Turned out to be a dirty flame eye inside the...
Replies
Views
Back