Help Estimating Boiler Size | Boilers | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Help Estimating Boiler Size in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I have given as much information as I can and all that has been requested, the rest is between me and my bank manager :)

I am in the process of getting another professional to take over the job but having been bitten once, I am understandably a little reluctant to just blindly believe what I am told without doing a bit of independent research and it is thanks to people like yourself being generous enough to share their time, wisdom and experience on forums like this that I can.

The property is circa 3500 Square feet.

Lame Plumber, I think most people could work out how to steal oil but most would not have a clue with Gas but I agree that that anyone who is truly determined will find a way and they would probably steal your pellets too :)

Why are you so anti LPG, is it largely down to cost/sustainability?

Thanks for your help.

because even the rich regret installing lpg to heat their houses when the bills come in, hence why one often ends up ripping out lpg appliances and in my case installing oil appliances as the costs are extortionate for lpg, but you cant be advicing those that wont listen, until their wallets hurt !

Never mind having your oil pinched, your getting robbed before the Calor wagon even rolls up on L.P.G

That said, if it's unoccupied for long periods at a time then maybe it'll work. I've known owners of 2-3 bed park homes cry at the cost of LPG, let alone a 3500 sq ft farm house.

even so, 40kw & 2 boilers is probably not needed just about. Save the extra expense and put it into calor shares.

I wholly agree with the LPG comments.

I hope you haven't bought any rads. Oversize rads massively like 300%

Two reasons . 1 your LPG boilers can run at a lower temp and save you money. 2. Next year when installing ASHP you won't need to make any changes.

Make sure your pipe work is right too. 35mm to unvented cylinder and 35mm to the heating manifold .

Put every rad or group of rads on their own zone. This will make your system lots more efficient and future proof. If you are using UNderfloor just run rads off a ufh manifold and just treat a rad like a ufh circ.

If your plumbers clever set up a LLH and a solar unvented cylinder and buy the best cylinder ACV SLME - the mutts nuts . Leave a few legs on the LLH for your new heating components biomass and Thermal store.

Your "plumber " sounds like. Chump or from the dark ages.

I your wanting to control remotely tie in a decent controller (not heatmiser) and you can control each room from your phone too!

Boiler wise two system boilers. Ideal logic 30+ keeps it domestic LPG and will be fine?? have two running circa 300m2 of single glassed nursery 1903 construction no insulation 300l cyl. Toasty ! 2" one pipe jobby

Last edited by a moderator:
I wholly agree with the LPG comments.

I hope you haven't bought any rads. Oversize rads massively like 300%

Two reasons . 1 your LPG boilers can run at a lower temp and save you money. 2. Next year when installing ASHP you won't need to make any changes.

Make sure your pipe work is right too. 35mm to unvented cylinder and 35mm to the heating manifold .

Put every rad or group of rads on their own zone. This will make your system lots more efficient and future proof. If you are using UNderfloor just run rads off a ufh manifold and just treat a rad like a ufh circ.

If your plumbers clever set up a LLH and a solar unvented cylinder and buy the best cylinder ACV SLME - the mutts nuts . Leave a few legs on the LLH for your new heating components biomass and Thermal store.

Your "plumber " sounds like. Chump or from the dark ages.

I your wanting to control remotely tie in a decent controller (not heatmiser) and you can control each room from your phone too!
Why not heatmiser ermi? Was thinking of getting one for a job to control two heating zones and hot water.
back to lpg.
i have a well insulated mid 90s detached 3 bed house. I'm miserly with the heating. I'm on a district lpg system, 4 properties. £135 a month and I'm £250 in arrears! Should catch up during summer

Thanks all,

I was as generous with the rad specs as I could be but it was not possible to oversize by 300% as it would have cost way too much, not fit into the available space and would completely dominate the rooms.

Points taken re LPG, have not heard anything that would change my decision though because a free tank, £500 free gas, a reasonable initial lock-in rate and low anticipated usage all combine to actually make it quite cost effective for my application but I completely understand that it might not be a good choice for others. Also, as security is a real consideration, it would only take one significant theft of oil to make the case for it look far less attractive.

Any final thoughts on boiler choice or sizing please?

I'm sure your plumber can advise. Based on his other advice, he'll probably suggest a Worcester, and I'm not sure whatever is suggested here will counter any suggestion from him. You have clearly taken your own counsel before asking for advice on other matters and then rejected all the advice given foc from some of the top, most respected people in the UK

Taking EVERYTHING into account that you have said so far, I am at a loss to provide further advice as you have made some very expensive decisions.

:iagree::iagree::iagree: Totally, what a waste of time.

If only one of us had said "yes thats right mate, shove one in that is twice as big as you need" all would be well in the world.

Wow, what a hostile forum this is, why so rude and personal?

I did not ask for any advice at all on LPG, all that I tried to do was explain my choice (one that I cannot change) when challenged on it. I have already bought Rads so again, not much that I can do about that, what I needed was advice on a boiler spec, what I got from some was a load of abuse and unhelpful comments that go a long way towards explaining why some of your fellow "professionals" earn themselves such a poor reputation.

My thanks to all of the true professionals who have made sincere and positive contributions, I will take on board what you have said to help me make a more informed choice of boiler and plumber/heating engineer, I really do appreciate the help. As to the rest of you, if you are not willing to give advice freely and to help others less well informed than yourselves, perhaps you are not cut out to participate in a public forum.

Yes sizing on delta 30 and 300% over may be slight capital outlay but it would make that free £500 last a bit longer. I would rather burn my own body hair for heat than LPG.

Don't want to seem too much of a know it all, but please can I say I told you so. Hold that for about 9 months then allow it to resonate around you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

C
Just a quick note to say thanks to all for...
Replies
Views
C
Back