Help needed with new boiler | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Help needed with new boiler in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rickg

We had a company carry out a power flush and fit new WB 24Ri wall hung boiler and magnetic filter.

At the time they said sludge from system was worse they'd seen but got it running clear.

Three months now and boiler heat is too low - guys are saying it's because old radiators that were not changed have put more sludge into the boiler heat exchanger.

The magnetic filter was completely clogged

I had no idea this might happen - I assumed the system would be clean.

What the heck do I do now? Brand new boiler may be compromised even if I pay more for all old rads changed and another flush. All I asked for was a heating system that worked - I am not a plumber!!
Grateful for advice.

Thanks.

Did they perform a power flush to clean the central heating system? A proper power flush in a house with 8 radiators can take 6-7 hours depending on the state of the system.

Yes - complete system was flushed. It took a whole day. Really not sure where I stand - should I have been advised not to have gone ahead without new rads or is it down to me to pay for another boiler and new rads. Nightmare.

If the magnet is clogged I doubt they flushed the system properly. Whereabouts are you? Someone from the forum maybe able to come take a look

Contract says they would "carry out a full descale of the central heating system with the use of a Kamco clear flow power flush pump. Including sludge dissolving chemicals, neutraliser and inhibitor".

Thanks for your help macackau - do you think that old rads would release more sludge later on after a power flush? I thought they were cleaned inside.

Are the radiators warm at the bottom, particularly in the centre of them?

Seems that they have not done the power flush correctly get them back to re-do it, the filter is doing it's job by protecting the boiler, Kemco is very good equipment (I use one) and should do a top job if it has been used has recommended, are you sure that they used any chemicals ? were you present when power flush was taking place ?

Daft question but what size of pipe is going to the rads?
Are the quite small?

How old are the radiators. They could be in poor state and Breaking down Internaly.

Difficult to accept that a system properly cleaned, and with inhibitor added, could generate sufficient sludge in three months to ruin the boiler heat exchanger. As identified by Croppie, post4, the Contract for the works is all important. In determining the meaning of the Contract a Court would consider not only what was written but what was implied.
If, having encountered heavy sludge, the contractor advised, in writing, power flush was unlikely to clean system, then he has fulfilled his duty of care. Otherwise you are in a strong position to request remedy.
Contracts between commercial parties are viewed as contracts between equal parties, but in a domestic situation a Court may rule certain terms and conditions unfair if they cancel normal consumer rights.
In your situation ,"a full descale of the central heating system", reads more than connecting a power flush machine to the tails of a convenient radiator. To a lay person it would imply a clean system.

You will not need a brand new boiler if heat ex is blocked, just a new heat ex or the original cleaning, however I doubt that the system would produce enough sludge in 3 months to block a magnaclean, but it could happen if all of the radiators are at end of life although highly unlikely IMO

Cant see that every rad has been cleaned thoroughly during power flush as each one should be cleaned seperately during the process.
Boiler should be ok but sounds like the system will need redoing. If the system is over 20 years old and been neglected it is good practise to advise the customer that new rads and valves should be considered when changing the boiler. This is a choice for the customer and usually comes down to budget.

Thanks all for info.
I'll see where this goes after consulting company again.
I was worried that once a WB 24Ri has sludge in it you can't flush it out? If it is poss. then I would be happy with another power clean - but the rad question is difficult. A few rads are very old but I was not told they might sludge up the boiler if not changed.

I'm going to keep quoting this as it is imperative our industry understands it's ramifications:

Consumer Rights Act 2015 - your installer needs to fix it at their cost.

In the Renewables sector our professional indemnity insurance premiums are about twice a normal heating engineer's because of this Act.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Who said plastic 28/22mm copper tube and mlcp...
Replies
Views
J
I've seen a few with boxed in flues and they...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Thanks for this I will try and find out what...
Replies
Views
External hounsfield heat only. If you really...
Replies
Views
Back