how to fix your own boiler! | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss how to fix your own boiler! in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

REDSAW

most web based sites will guide you through any tasks of d.i.y projects that suit your needs and fixing boilers of all makes is no exception to the rule.
however there are some things you may 'have a go at' and some you you wont. its often said that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing and 'why' should you not know the ins and outs of how to do it?.

more reasonably noted is that some trades require legally qualified craftsmen/professionals to operate in certain sectors. these professional people are in the category of personnel that are permitted to endorse a passport for example and it is illegal to replicate that trade such as a policeman, doctor and even gas engineer.

so my advice if you really want to have a go yourself (fair enough) you have to source some 'knowledge' i would start here first and work your way up.............
www.aafp.org/afp/1999/0315/p1514.html

good luck:smile5:

Last edited by a moderator:
Redsaw,

Got the point, under the circumcises I promise I will never ever service my gas boiler ever again...you have a wicked sense of humour

Last edited by a moderator:
Redsaw I promise I'm going to never ever let you anywhere near my boiler

I have been writing my blog since 2007 - Mrs Tara Plumbing -
I write about everything from nudist beaches to vegan chocolate but the few times I have written about DIY gas work get some of the highest hits.

This tells me that every day of the week someone is turning to the internet to find out if they can legally fit their own gas fire, cooker or boiler.
I am telling them they MUST NOT.
But they will also read plenty telling them they can.
And how to do it.

Part of the problem seems to be that in parts of the US doing DIY gas work is legal and accepted as normal - US websites will turn up in those searches.

This is one example from my blog and you can see the comments from people who disagree with my interpretation
Is DIY gas work against the law? Or is it ok in my own home? | Mrs Tara Plumbing

My mate tried to fix his own boiler as he had worked out the fan wasn't kicking in. Decided to put 240 to the fan via an external source.

Well we fitted him a nice new PCB after that and then fixed his pressure vessel which was the problem in the first place.

An avoidable extra £200 quid on a repair bill because he thought he'd have a go.

I made him feel quite guilty about touching that boiler especially as he had a pregnant missus in the house at the time.

Muppet!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

I'm a bit lost with this but to confirm it's...
Replies
Views
D
Replies
Views
J
bitter? This language won't be tolerated!
2 3
Replies
Views
Rickster123
R
P
Hope to be living the French way next year!
Replies
Views
Back