Ideal Classic RS60 Boiler/System | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Ideal Classic RS60 Boiler/System in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jamer8

Hi
I wonder I anyone can help solve a puzzle for me please?
I have been asked to replace a leaking radiator valve on a very old system.
I have tied up the ball cock in the attic and began to drain the system (boiler switched off etc).
Some of the radiators were not working so planned to bleed them after re-filing. I had also planned to introduce a cleaning agent and then inhibitor.
My problem is the system has let out some water from the one and only drain valve but the water in the header tank does not drain at all.
The system also has two pumps inline and separate from the boiler and there is no provision for hot water only. There does appear to be a very old check valve after the pumps and I have some photos if anyone wants a laugh.
Is there something else I can do to drain the system and then hopefully re-fill it again?

I know the horse has bolted and its a bit late for the stable door, but I wouldn't drain down an old system just to change a valve. Old systems = a lot of hassle.

Might want to look at freezing, next time :)

Thanks SimonG
I have learnt a lesson!
Any thoughts on my situation now?

Don't panic. Plenty of cloths down and see what it's like at the valve you are changing. Then take it from there. Your fun and games will come when you try to refill. Might want to try backfilling from mains through drain off.

Sounds like you have come across an old SMC control pack, one pump heating other was a circulator slow running for the hot water, unless you have lots of experience or know some older plumber you could be getting yourself into a world of grief, it will be one problem after another, system is in need of upgrade, put a cleaner in this system and it could fall apart.

Thanks jtsplumbimg
It looks as though the system has been added on over the years and I think you are right about the pumps. It is definitely in need of an upgrade. All this for a simple radiator valve replacement.
Do you know if the pumps are supposed to run all of the time or are they switched on with the heating??

Work independely of each other, but both controlled by timer and stats take it the two pumps are a metallic blue colour over 30 years old, pumps Proberly not doing much now , if pumps running all the time something wrong with timer or stats, should only run when there is a demand. you can bet that you will get no end of call backs once you touch it ! you know the story ! it never did that till you changed that valve, system need controls / Pump / and new motorised valves fitting , but don't think they will pay the cost of upgrade

Thanks again, I really do appreciate your help.
The pumps are both metallic blue but different manufacturers. There are no motorised valves in the system, once the heating is on it heats the water as well at the same time, both pumps are fed by the same supply cable, so run at the same time. The controls are also very old, just a timer with "constant, on or timed" on it.
I guess its time to be frank (just for the weekend) and explain the situation to the lady.
I agree, all I can see is constant re-calls so that needs explaining.
Wish me luck!

System has been messed around with, not wired correctly, should have a room stat/ cylinder stat must be running everything on boiler stat, must be costing a small fortune in gas, one pump has been changed at some time, just point out how much money she is wasting, fit new pump, & control pack (Cheapest way to buy) may be TRVs on rads (If she can afford it) will cut running costs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hi Lou, It's been the same since 19th May...
Replies
Views
200% won’t be the reason the cylinder isn’t...
Replies
Views
Turned out to be a dirty flame eye inside the...
Replies
Views
hi, no current pipework in concrete i believe...
Replies
Views
Back