Ideal Standard combi boiler. Is it??! | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Ideal Standard combi boiler. Is it??! in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

petegit1947

My son has a very old heating system in his house. The boiler is an Ideal Standard. When the heating is turned on the boiler fires up. When the hot water tap is turned on, it doesn't, so is this not a combi boiler? Apparently the tank in the airing cupboard is in 2 sections, main tank and header tank with another header tank in the loft I believe. The control is just a lever with "heating" to the left and "hot water" to the right. Apparently putting the lever to the central setting does both. Is the hot water heated by gas, or is there likely to be a heating element in the tank? The boiler fires up when heating is turned up, but nothing when hot tap is turned on. Any thoughts would be much appreciated as I'm thoroughly confused!

hi pete welcome to the forums. no it will not be a combi boiler but a heat only one.it is possible that there will be a coil in the hot water cylinder that heats the hot water. can you post some pictures of the setup? it will really help.

I'll try my best, but on holiday from Monday, so may not have time! If it is a coil so doesn't heat by gas, is the water heated electrically then? If so, how does he switch it on?! No hot water at all unless he uses the immersion heater, which is gonna be expensive!
Cheers,
Pete

Steve is spot on, you don't see m,any with just a lever to change the flow of hot water these days though :)

Never seen a hot water to heating VALVE. servowarm did a summer/winter manual 3 port.Along with there boiler behind radiator jive. Is there a cylinder stat (strapped about a third up from the bottom) ?

Last edited by a moderator:
This will be pumped heating and gravity hot water,, thats why when you select heating ON the boiler fires up and the pump operates and because there are no zone valves the hot water circuit is open and piped to work on gravity circulation so when heatings on the hot water will heat aswell, but when you select hot water on its own the boiler will fire but no pump allowing the hot water to circulate via gravity, This is what most systems used to be like at one stage,

If the systems old there might not be circulation happening because of dirt/ sludge in the pipework

Right, the boiler is an Ideal Classic, (not Standard as i put in my first msg!) The system is the old Servowarm system, which is very dated apparently! I notice in the airing cupboard today that a valve on the pipe going up into the loft was turned off. Surely it should be open? I assume the pipe goes up to a header tank in the loft??
I would try to put a few photos on here, but can't upload them unfortunately! And i'm away for a week, so won't be able to reply to any answers until i get back, but thanks for the thoughts so far. I'm assuming that with the servowarm system it is the boiler that heats the water? Cheers everyone!

Strange! I replied to this thread earlier, but not showing up on here so will try again! The system is the old SERVOWARM, and the boiler is an IDEAL CLASSIC, not Standard as i put before. found a valve in the airing cupboard on a pipe going up to the attic which I assume goes to a header tank probably? This valve is closed. Should it be open? I haven't found a cylinder 'stat, and the boiler doesn't fire up when hot water tap turned on. Away for a week, but any advice/thoughts appreciated!

Pete, there is a delay to your posts being added due to a queue for new members I believe this disappears once you are over 10 posts. So persevere and try and post some pics

Strange! I replied to this thread earlier, but not showing up on here so will try again! The system is the old SERVOWARM, and the boiler is an IDEAL CLASSIC, not Standard as i put before. found a valve in the airing cupboard on a pipe going up to the attic which I assume goes to a header tank probably? This valve is closed. Should it be open? I haven't found a cylinder 'stat, and the boiler doesn't fire up when hot water tap turned on. Away for a week, but any advice/thoughts appreciated!

Hi, I'm back from holiday and they've still no hot water! How do I go about uploading photos on here please? Any help appreciated!!

on the quick reply box there are several icons along the top, hover your curser over the ones at the right hand end the one you want is in the middle. just click on that and away you go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
Yes everything worked fine before. Is there a...
Replies
Views
I don't believe moving the manual lever over...
Replies
Views
Thanks to @ShaunCorbs and @cjg for the helpful...
Replies
Views
It seems to be a case of having to watch and...
Replies
Views
Back