Isolating valves on heat only boiler f & r pipes | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Isolating valves on heat only boiler f & r pipes in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain.rick

Gas Engineer
Hi all,

as you may be aware im kinda new to this game. My mentor told me when fitting a heat only boiler he advises puting full bore isolation valves on flow and return pipes.

is this good advice?

cant see why not but dont see the point normally put comp couplings incase later on someone changes the boiler easy swap, but dont see the point in valves

cant see why not but dont see the point normally put comp couplings incase later on someone changes the boiler easy swap, but dont see the point in valves

Yes i guess he meant quicker for changes or boiler work.... But how often would that be?! I thought it would be better to drain a refill (fresh water & inhibitors) if work needed, but i guess for speed it could be beneficial?

Some argue compression = leaks etc

Yes i guess he meant quicker for changes or boiler work.... But how often would that be?! I thought it would be better to drain a refill (fresh water & inhibitors) if work needed, but i guess for speed it could be beneficial?

Some argue compression = leaks etc

normally you change rad/rad valves when you take off / swap and as you have said new inhibitor etc

image.jpg

This is what i did, and some people are telling me I shouldn't have put them on flow?

View attachment 24183

This is what i did, and some people are telling me I shouldn't have put them on flow?

well tbh somone could always turn them off thinking there somthing else and they might leak if in 10 years there used etc

aslong as there full bore and cant see anything wrong

well tbh somone could always turn them off thinking there somthing else and they might leak if in 10 years there used etc

aslong as there full bore and cant see anything wrong

Yeah i know what you mean, to be honest they are high up and the guy is very clued up on central heating boilers and systems so he knows what they are so thought he wouldnt mess. I can understand though... As a general rule should i bother? What would you do?

Thanks for all your advice by the way mate, I appreciate it

Yeah i know what you mean, to be honest they are high up and the guy is very clued up on central heating boilers and systems so he knows what they are so thought he wouldnt mess. I can understand though... As a general rule should i bother? What would you do?

Thanks for all your advice by the way mate, I appreciate it

would i my answer no unless cus wanted them (dont see a point)

One guy said open vent are bot allowed valves between boiler and vent as could explode if valve closed... Wouldnt o/heat stat shut it down? Or would it expand that much?

One guy said open vent are bot allowed valves between boiler and vent as could explode if valve closed... Wouldnt o/heat stat shut it down? Or would it expand that much?

thats what i said before ;) and would expand that much

if its OV,cant fit valves,nowhere for the water to go if it vents over

****, should i go and remove them? He does know quite a lot about it all..... But if he messes...

if its open vent yes, if pressurized no your fine

It is open vented and my mentor knew it was too! Wow im shocked, im also embarrassed having to go back, what the hell can i say without making myself look stupid

just tell him there not rated for heating and your worried that they will leak and just remove them

makes you think, the same would apply to filters on the return and pump valves on the flow hmmmmmmmm :D

Rick, what's the drain off after the valves for, surely that would be better placed under the boiler

Rick, what's the drain off after the valves for, surely that would be better placed under the boiler

The pipes come down from the ceiling and enter the boiler top right so rather than run pipe down and back up and round ( not much room in casing or cupboard its in) i just put it on the top

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

You’re 200 miles away - he is there. You’re...
Replies
Views
S
hi! I'll try to upload a picture but the pipe...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
200% won’t be the reason the cylinder isn’t...
Replies
Views
Who said plastic 28/22mm copper tube and mlcp...
Replies
Views
Back