MDPE pipe length & insulation question. | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss MDPE pipe length & insulation question. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to replace a leaking lead mains supply pipe which runs from the outside pavement through to the basement of the property. The water supplier will be raising the pavement to provide a connection for the new supply pipe to the exisiting communication pipe which, they have assured me, is 25mm MDPE. I wish to use the same type of pipe but only require a length of 1 – 2 metres to reach the copper pipework inside the property.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Is it possible to purchase this sort of length of MDPE anywhere or am I compelled to buy a roll of 50m of the damn stuff which is all that seems available from my local plumbers’ merchants etc.?

2. What is the best/appropriate type of insulation required for MDPE in the described situation?

Thanks in advance for advice.
:wink_smile:

you can get 25m coils for about 18 squids. You will only need to lagg the pipework if its less than 750mm from ground level. Then you can use foam lagging inside the ducting.

if you want a few meters you can try and get some off a building site. Give the site manager a drink.

Last edited:
[FONT=&amp] Yes, could try a building site. Good thinking. [/FONT]

Until the pavement is raised I am not sure quite what will be found but I guess the lead pipe will run through an old section of 4" ceramic or cast iron waste pipe. If so I will try to remove this and fix in a short section of plastic waste 32, 40 or 50. Yes, the pipework is less than 750mm from the ground so it will require lagging so the foam spray should suffice here.

Thanks, AW.
:smiley2:

Yep, 25m is the shortest roll, and I would be surprised if anyone will cut it for you. Like AW says, hang around building sites, and keep an eye on people digging up roads.

You're probably correct about the cutting, Ray. There is a bit of a roadworks ongoing nearby so I'll have a nose in the morning. Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
No as it’s 3/4 I’m guessing it’s black mdpe...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yes best to get the whole lot replaced from...
Replies
Views
Bronze Body DHW Recirc Pump Model : Bronze...
Replies
Views
Definitely shouldn't be stinky but as above is...
Replies
Views
VIEW HERE Bronze Body DHW Recirc Pump Model...
Replies
Views
Back