Megaflo + new system boiler or keep old boiler for ch + Andrews WHC56 for hot water? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Megaflo + new system boiler or keep old boiler for ch + Andrews WHC56 for hot water? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Garethd500

Hi all,
I new to this so apologies if any of this been answered already!

We are getting the loft (2nd floor) in our semi extended into a dormer with a bedroom plus ensuite shower room. We have a family bathroom on the 1st floor with a bath and when we get the work done we will remove the hot water cylinder and put a shower in the family bathroom also. We have a downstairs wc and kitchen with all the usual white goods.

When I first started looking I was told our water pressure was not great so we are going to replace the old mains pipe with a new 25mm one, no problem as the part of the old one is lead so best replaced. My first contractor suggested removing the old boiler and putting in a new Worcester system boiler and megaflo. My second contractor and self confessed boiler expert suggested keeping the old (baxi 15 solo he) boiler for the central heating and installing an Andrews WHC56 on a pressurised system for the hot water, this would obviously save me money but I'm worried about flow rates being a problem if we have three taps running on three different floors?

If there is anyone who can give me a idea or which would work best, I'm assuming the megaflow but could do without the extra outlay if its not necessary for our house?

Thanks,
Gareth

Re: Megaflo + new system boiler or keep old boiler for ch + Andrews WHC56 for hot wat

Hi Gareth, welcome along.
I would be thinking first thing is to get the new supply pipe fitted,
then retest what pressure and flow rates you have,
both setups are reliant on mains pressure,
if it is still weak you could struggle particularly with the attic shower.

Re: Megaflo + new system boiler or keep old boiler for ch + Andrews WHC56 for hot wat

Hi Gareth yeh its all down to your pressure at the end of the day , they could check that your mains shut off in the street is fully opened as is the one which enters the building, i dare say all that will be checked with new supply, do you know the pressure at the moment ? me personally if feesible would go with the worcester and megaflow, although the megaflows are slightly more expensive than other pressurised cylinders,

Thanks for the feedback guys. From conversations I've had with people down my street after getting a new mains feed in the water pressure will be sufficient for attic pressure. My issue is there is not much information on the Andrews (although the little I can find is very positive) so would I get water at a lower pressure if I was to use the Andrews instead of the megaflo? Or would it only depend on the pressure I'm getting from the mains? Thanks, Gareth

It would be dependent on the mains pressure.

Hi gareth , like we said both will depend on the pressure for instance if you were going with the andrews then you will need minimun 2bar of incoming pressure if you want to utilize its capacity,

Have never come across an Andrews water heater in a house before, another thing that needs gas and a flue where as the cylinder only needs a main upgrade and pressure relief out.
don't want to be negative but you'd fork out for the Andrews then the existing boiler would pack up and you'd wish you'd done the other option. (It makes sense in my head)!

Thanks all. We have decided to go the megaflo & new boiler route as there were concerns over the running costs on the Andrews long term? It's a bit more money now (and space!) but it feels the safer (if slightly more boring!) option. Thanks again, Gareth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

H
Prob blocked / frozen condense pipe does it...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
hi, no current pipework in concrete i believe...
Replies
Views
B
No the installers need to come out
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
Back