New Central Heating boilers - challange for Ray Stafford | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss New Central Heating boilers - challange for Ray Stafford in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Centralheatking

Hi Ray

Your post regarding Heatline and Vaillant was spot on

So how much more do you know about gereric domestic
central heating boilers and their heritage ?

Giving us access to this can only
increase your sales.

I used to know this stuff 10years ago but the dynamics
change

Have a good weekend my friend :wink_smile:

Rob aka CHK

There isn't really a black and white answer.

I guess there are three approaches.

1) Group sourcing of parts. This is the Vaillant/Glowworm/Heatline/Saunier Duval route - the pan-European group sources certain parts as a group (ie Gianonni HEX) but uses other parts and non functional parts as available by the local fabricator.

2) Platform manufacturing. This is preferred by both Baxi and Ideal - so we see the Duotec/Platinum/Gold/Titanium which are all the same Baxi boiler, or from Ideal we have Logic/Logic+/Independent/Independent+/Mini/Procombi - again all the same platform.

3) WB use a hybrid of the two systems - so across Europe they feel more like Vaillant, but in the UK, it appears that they have several different manufacturing designs.

Haha an ask ray thread, nice!!!

as its on boilers.

ray whats your views on the current brands and their places in the market by say lower, middle and higher end quality

such as heatline for the low, glow worm for the mid range and vaillant for the higher end?

personally my views and please give me insight and reason if you think differently!!

i would say lower end we have the
heatlines, vokera, procombi, iqe/sime, biasi, main, ravenheat and certain ideal models.

middle we have potterton, most ideal, baxi, worcester, glowworm, , keston domestics

higher end
We have a vaillant, viessman, intergas (tempted to put in the middle), the ideal vogue, acv, atag and my mind has gone blank....

Wouldn't be putting viessman above low / middle. Keston is ideal as is the pro combi.

Atag and possibly in upper level but it's U G L Y!

Remeha defo low low low.

ray whats your views on the current brands and their places in the market by say lower, middle and higher end quality

I think it depends on how you are defining quality. There is the pure interpretation of good design, high quality components and engineering excellence. Then there is the question of ease of diagnosis and repair, price and availability of spare parts, along with both length of warranty and the extent to which the warranty is enforceable without wriggling, and finally other customer service issues.

No manufacturer leads in all fields, and different things are of value to different people.

For example, imagine there were only two boilers on the market. Model A has 90% of the market, and on average breaks down every 10 years. Spares for Model A are expensive and hard to find, and the boiler is awkward to work on. Model B has 10% of the market, but breaks down every year on average. Spares are cheap and readily available, and the frequent problems are dead easy to diagnose and fix.

Under these circumstances, breakdown engineers would attend roughly the same number of model A as model B problems, but would probably describe model A boilers as "dogs". Householders, however, would much prefer the 10 times greater reliability.

Similarly, do you prefer a boiler that will probably go 10 years on basic servicing, but only has a 2 year warranty, or one that will probably breakdown every 3 years, but will be covered by the warranty. Which is the higher quality?

Other things - such as ease of installation and sharp internal edges - are important to the engineer, but irrelevant to the householder.

Then there is pure power, particularly in combis. I would rather have a 40kw mid-market combi than a 24kw model from a "premium" supplier. That longer warranty or better engineering doesn't do anything to improve the flow-rate!

There are also market share issues. WB, Vaillant Group, BDR Thermea and Ideal have such a stranglehold on the UK market, that all other brands are trivially insignificant. They may have pockets of local popularity, and they will have their vocal supporters, but whose to say if they will be in the UK in 10 years time. Chaffoteaux, ELM Le Blanc, Saunier Duval and Radiant are just some names that had little nibbles at the UK market in the past, but have now retreated back to Europe or been swallowed by bigger fish.

If I had to pick a top tier, my recommends would be:

Vaillant Ecotec Plus range
Worcester CDI Classic range
Jury is still out on the Ideal Vogue, but it may join that list.

Middle tier

Baxi Duotec HE A*, Ideal Logic +, Vaillant Ecotec Pro, Worcester SI. Maybe a glowworm Ultracom 2

Budget:

Ideal Independent**, Main, Glowworm Flexicom. Anything else is false economy in the long run.

I haven't included Atag, Weissman or Intergas - not because I have anything against them - I simply don't know enough to comment, and their market share is trivially small by comparison with the biggies.

*Also the Baxi platinum, potterton gold, potterton titanium and other variants
**or the other cheap variants of the same - including the pro-combi version

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Ray this is a really good reply my friend
from an absolute expert in his chosen field of knowledge

centralheatking

Interesting that you put the Vaillant Ecotec Plus & Pro in different categories there Ray.
I always fit Vaillant & see very little difference between the two boilers aside from the facia panel.

The plus is just a little bit fancier with it's options and had brass guts(untill recently). Pretty the same boiler though :)

Thats a brilliant way to put your views down Mr Stafford , Its a pitty that the boiler (which lasted the longest , was the easiest to work on and the bits were the cheapest,) wasnt available but i dare say thats the reason they can charge that bit extra,

no one considers the ease of commissioning so far, me I prefer a simple boiler that you can adjust easily rather than one that commissions itself as there's more to go wrong electronically imho. So out with wb and those other clever machines, as I cant see pcb lasting 10 years in all the heat that boilers give off so they are probably going to break down more despite the long warranties which they will be looking to avoid honouring down the line when they realize its all got too expensive

Another point to consider is the manufactures customer service and attitude towards us normal engineers.

Also You may want to consider that some manufacturers have sold your/ my customers details to a large companies so the large company can try and take away that customer. This alone IMO puts there boilers in the do not use section if possible.

Also You may want to consider that some manufacturers have sold your/ my customers details to a large companies so the large company can try and take away that customer. This alone IMO puts there boilers in the do not use section if possible.

Another classic example of a feature that may be a deal-breaker for the installer, but of little relevance to the house-holder.

We often get members of the public on the board asking the experts here to recommend a boiler.

To be honest, I think that they mean "please recommend a boiler in MY best interests". They don't mean "please recommend a boiler which is best for you, the installer".

I agree, the property owner would probably think its of little relevance to themselves but they will normally take the advise of there own installer over anybody else. So a manufacturer trying to steal its customers customer is a big turn off in my eyes and puts there boilers down the pecking order of what i would recommend.

As you say ray we all have opinions based of what we are looking for........, easy to install, commission, repair, less breakdowns, longer warranty, previous experiences, better customer service amoung loads of other factors and of course cost.

It would be interesting if we could put the question to every manufacturer "do you currently or have you ever sold customer information?" i wonder how many would reply with the truth?

from an installers point of view i want my customer to be happy with what they pay for and also stay as my customer

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
D
Sounds like you need somebody competent to...
Replies
Views
  • Article
The UK Government has today been told to do...
Replies
Views
E
Thanks for your help and advice.:)
Replies
Views
E
D
Replies
Views
Back