No Boiler controller or room thermostat on new central heating system | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss No Boiler controller or room thermostat on new central heating system in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sandyd

Hi, my gas engineer has not installed a controller on my new boiler or installed a room thermostat and consequently he hasn't commissioned the boiler. He is gas safe registered. I have been using the boiler for hot water for more than two weeks but I haven't been able to tie him down to a date to finish the job. I still owe him about £600. What should I do?

Get him back out to install trvs, heating controls. Make sure he adds cleanser and inhibitor to your system and fills in the commissioning sheet at back of installation guide.

Why has he not come back for his money? What happened before he left site? I know that if I was owed 6 ton I would be at your door to complete job and get paid.

If you get no joy from him send him a recorded mail delivery explaining that if he does not complete installation by said date, you will spend his £600 getting someone else in to check his installation and to commission it.

what does it say on the quote regarding controls and commission? as above hes done the hard part so dont understand why hes not come back?

If he hasn't commissioned it, it should not have a connected gas supply & therefore not be in use !!!

Without those controls being in place he can not have commissioned the whole installation as far as Part L of the Building Reg's is concerned, so the likelihood is it hasn't been notified to Gas Safe / Building Control.
You now need to get confirmation that these have been completed before releasing an of the money you hold.

Write to him, he needs to come back to finish the job.

Like already said he has a legal obligation to commision boiler as soon as switched on because if not then hes no idea if boiler burning correct or gas is sound.

Has something happened? Seems odd him not completing the job...

Odd and suspicious ian , who fits a boiler without commissioning , they guy in question surely wouldve tested gas , if he hasnt tested anythin then he really shouldnt have a GSR ticket, the amount of lazy reged guys out there think they cant cut corners simply because they have a ticket,

Has he gone on a bender / died or something?

Sounds very strange

Certainly don't pay until the job is completed including paperwork.

Might be holding back the paperwork until money is received.
Two sides to every story

He could be one of these guys posing as a GSR ( possibly) and doesnt have FGA , im just trying to think why someone wouldnt commision and still leave boiler running

It has been a nightmare from start. He is gs registered as I have checked. I had to chase for weeks to get him to amend his quote as he got a few things wrong/missing etc. We eventually arranged a date for install, but no-one turned up. I had to wait two weeks before anything happened and I was constantly chasing him. When his crew did start a day and a half in they left at lunch time to go work elsewhere! He keeps promising to do do things like call me, email etc but nothing ever happens. He hasn't done any of the work himself, just had two guys who I assume he employs. He has agreed to either cut £200 off the bill for the messing about or do some other plumbing bits for me, but I just can't trust him to do that. All he has done is look at where the boiler is located and glanced at the pipework. I think I will just tell him to go do one I am that hacked off!

Easy enough to say with hindsight, but were alarm bells not ringing from the start! What sort of quality is the work they have done - are you happy with it?

Sandyd Please take some advise before you let rip.

Write if possible (letter), if not then email giving him say 7 (or so) days to come back & finish the job including all the required paper work. Set out any complaints / grievances you may have include the time you have been waiting/wasted. State that you will not be handing over any further monies until all of the work is completed to your satisfaction. Inform him in the letter that if after the 7 days have elapsed the works are not complete you will be using the money outstanding to complete the job & you will be seeking redress.

It is likely to cost you all of the £600 to have someone else in to complete it all. (plumbers do not like signing off any work they have not carried out themselves.

Devils advocate on this one. Two sides to a story etc etc.

Need to get face to face and sort it. Forget emails, texts etc. Bring him on site and use the art of conversation. Before you know it it will all be sorted.

This is a wind up post surely!

The OPs "gas engineer" does not be required to be registered for anything as he
did not do any work on the appliance.

The operative (at least one of the two guys sent to do the work) is required to
be Gas Safe registered to install and commission the boiler.

One of these should have been checked through the GS register.

Were these checked out?

It has been a nightmare from start. He is gs registered as I have checked. I had to chase for weeks to get him to amend his quote as he got a few things wrong/missing etc. We eventually arranged a date for install, but no-one turned up. I had to wait two weeks before anything happened and I was constantly chasing him. When his crew did start a day and a half in they left at lunch time to go work elsewhere! He keeps promising to do do things like call me, email etc but nothing ever happens. He hasn't done any of the work himself, just had two guys who I assume he employs. He has agreed to either cut £200 off the bill for the messing about or do some other plumbing bits for me, but I just can't trust him to do that. All he has done is look at where the boiler is located and glanced at the pipework. I think I will just tell him to go do one I am that hacked off!

Im slightly confused sandyd in your original post you said the guy installed new boiler but never fitted the controls and hasnt commissioned but above you say all hes done is look at location of boiler and glance at pipework, just curious to whats been done and what hasnt been done, we can all slate this guy unfortunately we dont know the full story

Easy enough to say with hindsight, but were alarm bells not ringing from the start! What sort of quality is the work they have done - are you happy with it?

The bells were ringing a bit, but I had other problems with getting permissions from third parties, so didn't have my eye on the ball all the time. The guys have done a good job so can't complain about that. I think he is running around getting as many contracts as he can and losing site of the ball. I am going to email him today to give him one more chance to complete the job so will keep you all posted if he does!

Thanks to all of you who have give me advice on the forum -first time of using has been a good experience!

If all else fails you could use the £600 having some one else finish the job

keep us updated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Np Simon. Hoping to get the boiler engineer...
Replies
Views
Fair point. There is a dearth of heating...
Replies
Views
Who said plastic 28/22mm copper tube and mlcp...
Replies
Views
In that case, just get the Mechanical Engineer...
Replies
Views
Good job buddy. Rather than a beer, if you’re...
Replies
Views
Back