Rear-flued boilers. | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Rear-flued boilers. in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LPC

For a job I need a boiler with a rear-exit flue that is capable of going through a 1.2m thick wall with no joints.

Already ruled out Glowworm as their rear-exit boiler can only be used with a telescopic rear flue which is only ~600mm long.

Any ideas? The boiler cannot be lowered and there is no room to put another hole through the wall.

Daft question but why can't you have a join?

Daft question but why can't you have a join?

in a wall / cant get at it to see it my guess

and can you have a bend then rear as worcester do a long slinky flue

Last edited:
What's the difference if you use telescopic? It's a join.

This is going to cause a lot of discussion.
How would you inspect a telescopic?

Plus is a 1.2metre thick wall a void?

I don't think it is, any other views.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's an interesting point.

Another point is if I put a joint in anyway, how would gas safe even begin to prove that there is a joint in the middle of a 1.2m thick wall that's totally mortared in......

I would like the job, but i'd rather find a way to do it without a join!

Just as a matter of interest what has a wall that thick.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's an interesting point.

Another point is if I put a joint in anyway, how would gas safe even begin to prove that there is a joint in the middle of a 1.2m thick wall that's totally mortared in......

I would like the job, but i'd rather find a way to do it without a join!

They would know. by knowing what flueing options are available to buy. I cant think of a solution either.

Run the flue through some duct (6 inch soil pipe) with some form of inspection cover outside?

The ideal logic has rear flue option. Not on the combi tho sadly.

I've looked at a way of putting some kind of inspection hatch in but I don't think it's possible without major work. You can see the wall hole by removing the electric meter box (it's loose) but it would be difficult to get in there and make the join. It might count as inspectable though because you would be able to see it.

The main problem seems to be that no-one make a rear-flue long enough. You can't joint them to make them longer so if the wall is thicker than 600mm then there's no way to add on, joints or not.

In my humble opinion just look down the flue way external or internal to see integrity of flue.

Voters do a balcony model for external wall mount, then it's a matter of pipe work through the wall only

Nowhere to mount it outside. In fact the flue exits about 40cm above outside floor level!

You question having a joint, next question how to inspect the joint where the flue joins the boiler.

personally I think you need to check on the definition of a void, a 1.2m thick wall with a flue cemented in at both ends isnt really a void in my humble opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

It seems to be a case of having to watch and...
Replies
Views
Unfortunately just because it works now...
Replies
Views
Fair point. There is a dearth of heating...
Replies
Views
Anyway, you can always increase the boiler...
Replies
Views
I took those photos! Looks like the only...
Replies
Views
Back