Regular or system boiler? With unvented? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Regular or system boiler? With unvented? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rongagain

We recently moved into a 4 bedroomed, 15 radiators and two bathroomed house. The boiler is 22 years old and making some strange noises... So we need a new one.

Also we are having a bathroom upgrade and the plumber said 210 lt unvented cylinder is best way to save having a twin imp pump.

So I asked for three quotes from local gas engineers. One said Glow worm regular 18 kw with unvented cylinder, second said 18kw or 24 kw regular WB with unvented cylinder, third said 24kw system WB with unvented cylinder.

Which is best? Regular or system for my needs. Will I need an unvented cylinder if I go system boiler?

I know I can ask the engineers but I would appreciate any comments from others..

Thanks

Regular every day with Worcester as they fill it with plastic and the leak. Regular is nice tho !!!! I would actually fit ideal logic + 24kw system boiler.

Yes unvented yes get the daddy of unvented, ACV super! Or if your on a budget worcester cylinder and a CDI regular.

for me, a 4 pipe (your installer will know what that is) Viessmann 200 with weather comp, and to make it easy, the viessmann unvented cylinder (consider a solar cylinder, in case you fancy fitting a panel later on. )

I with erm regular everday of the week for me except worcester you just as well fix a skip to the wall with a little blue light on it

The Worcester cdi regular is a nice boiler. It's just every other Worcester that's poop!

Thanks for the feedback so far, I have to say that I am very surprised at the WB comments. I thought that they were supposed to be a reliable make? Were they once good and gone downhill? It will have a 7 year warranty apparently. 8 years with their filter?

So you seem to think regular is the way to go? Is a system boiler more unreliable?

The engineer that said use a system boiler said with a regular I wouldn't need the red and white extra cylinders and separate pump?

I notice no body has commented on the Glow worm, that probably means a definite no?

Thanks for your comments so far.

WB have great marketing but in many of our eyes, there are better products available.

System boilers are good, you compact everything into a small pace but it does make them harder to work on ect ect so as installers we often prefer "heat only" boiler set ups if you have the space. If not then a system boiler is fine.

the white vessel goes with your unvented cylinder and you must have that.

Depending on your radiator sizes you will need an external expansion vessel additional to the one inside the system boiler regardless.
ask the installer how he worked out the expansion size and give him a stern look ;)

Glow worm awful. Wb boilers are plastic inside and leak. The regular has no plastic and is reliable. Glowworm just leak.

You will 100% need white one with unvented and any boiler combo unless unvented is a bubble top, which is a pain in the arse and I would much rather a white tank!

Ideal system boiler is an excellent bit of kit and you get 7 years warranty . Ask to see the installers cards . G3 unvented and gas safe ones . Lots of people pretend you see. If he hasn't got cards on him or in van just say sorry your going to have to leave.

All 3 say they are G3, but I haven't seen the proof. 2 are on the WB site as approved installers, they are the ones who advised WB of course.

Any particular Ideal model or just a 24kw in the system or regular?
Maybe I misunderstood when he said the system boiler has in-built alternatives to the white and red tank?

I would just let the engineers select if they all agreed on type of boiler etc. But they don't, so your input is most welcome. It is a big bill to get wrong lol.

I'm the prince of Persia and I'm on a course?

You could be on the Worcester site if you wished that is pretty
much irrelevant.

Go on gas safe website go to find engineer. Input the address they have given you in quote. And you will see qualifications. Also you should check that the bloke doing the work is actually qualified. If your given some bull again show them the door.

100% cdi regular. If Worcester .

100% logic 24kw +!system if ideal

How were the boilers sized? Did tey just guess? What boiler do u have at moment? What unvented cylinder have they proposed? Did they check water pressure and flow rate?

WB have great marketing but in many of our eyes, there are better products available.

System boilers are good, you compact everything into a small pace but it does make them harder to work on ect ect so as installers we often prefer "heat only" boiler set ups if you have the space. If not then a system boiler is fine.

the white vessel goes with your unvented cylinder and you must have that.

Depending on your radiator sizes you will need an external expansion vessel additional to the one inside the system boiler regardless.
ask the installer how he worked out the expansion size and give him a stern look ;)

15 rads more like a stern slap !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Or elec bills as it would be running...
Replies
Views
200mm apart ffs not good if not a very good...
Replies
Views
I don't actually know but I'd have thought you...
Replies
Views
Hi, approx. 2-3 hours.
Replies
Views
Back