Removing cast iron soil stack | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Removing cast iron soil stack in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

turbotorch

Gas Engineer
Hi,

Has anybody ever removed only the bottom part of a cast iron soil stack and somehow supported the rest of the stack and left it in place, or is it only possible to remove the whole thing?

It had originally been outside, but there has been a single storey extension built which the bottom part of the stack is in, it has a concrete ceiling so the stack has been concreted in where it comes through. It goes up through the single storey extension roof then up the outside wall and then through the eaves up through the main roof.

I was hoping for a solution that wouldn't involve removing the whole stack? I was thinking that where it was concreted in might support it, but i think i know what the answers will be here.

Appreciate any help.

if the top is well fixed no reason you cant cut a section in below personally i would drop the lot and replace in plastic as theres a lot of weight up there

Sussex flange, firstly I like your user name, have a look at the thread "Surrey or Essex Flange" post 12 LOL.
As said above is the soil stack fixed to the wall? Most old cast iron stacks have brackets nailed into the wall, if so just cut out a section.
But in an ideal world follow stevetheplumbers advice above and replace the lot in plastic.

Yes of course we have but why do you want to do this ?

Lancashire Flange aka centralheatking
Hi,

Has anybody ever removed only the bottom part of a cast iron soil stack and somehow supported the rest of the stack and left it in place, or is it only possible to remove the whole thing?

It had originally been outside, but there has been a single storey extension built which the bottom part of the stack is in, it has a concrete ceiling so the stack has been concreted in where it comes through. It goes up through the single storey extension roof then up the outside wall and then through the eaves up through the main roof.

I was hoping for a solution that wouldn't involve removing the whole stack? I was thinking that where it was concreted in might support it, but i think i know what the answers will be here.

Appreciate any help.

I should have said, i have installed a new stack outside on the side wall so the cast stack is no longer in use. I want to remove the lower part to make way for a kitchen.

BN9Pete quite right! :)

In that case remove the lot. Get a nice long ladder and a light lump hammer - bish bash bosh from the top down - bit by bit. Although we have pulled the whole lot down in one go by
attaching chain to stack and landrover and driving off - its good fun. CHK
I should have said, i have installed a new stack outside on the side wall so the cast stack is no longer in use. I want to remove the lower part to make way for a kitchen.

BN9Pete quite right! :)

Yeah your probably right, although i would be surprised if it moved being concreted in the ceiling, dont want to take the risk though.

Gonna send someone else up up to do it though, dont do ladders..

Make sure to use goggles if using the bish bash bosh method, cast iron in the eye is delightful (NOT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

No problem with the 900mm from openings as it...
Replies
Views
I need a quote to replace a soil stack ( cast...
Replies
Views
10 o’clock / 45 degrees would be better than...
Replies
Views
Thanks, I think its a case of stick with the...
Replies
Views
Hi Steve, Thanks for posting. Could you post...
Replies
Views
Back