Small rental portfolio advice please. | Plumbers Talk Updates and News | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Small rental portfolio advice please. in the Plumbers Talk Updates and News area at Plumbers Forums

With the up and coming Renters Charter, its probably time to start thinking about increasing the efficiency of our small portfolio. 4-small houses.

Two of our four 1990's properties have heat only systems with non-condensing boilers. One on the garage wall and one on the kitchen wall.

The other two properties of a similar age have gas connected, but use E7 electric heaters. Probably ideal candidates for combi boiler systems. Especially as the one bed probably only needs 3 or 4 rads and the two bed needs a maximum of 5 rads. Though the hard water area might make heat only systems a better choice. Both have airing cupboards anyway with water cylinders.

What boilers are other landlords fitting these days? Is there a go to brand/range?

I've always gone for Vaillant boilers in my own homes over the last 40-years, but found them to be on the pricier side. Is it a false economy to buy cheap?

Quite like the idea of stainless steel exchangers as I imagine they will last longer than aluminium, but from a quick look online, am seeing mostly aluminium exchangers. This is a very hard water area and none of the properties are fitted with water softners. I guess if the system water is clean with inhibitor, any limescale will only be deposited in the pipes once!

Is there like a best selling range of boilers that most of the new home developers have been banging in all their properties or do they chop and change?

I have never been a fan of micro bore radiator pipes an prefer the traditional 3/4" pipes myself to carry a better flow of heat. I'm a bit old school like that. Not sure if this would effect boiler choice.

Not looking to have internet connectivity, so if the boilers have that functionality, I'd prefer if it wasn't enabled. Imagine it would be a pain when tenants change the internet routers!

Reliability is always a concern. Don't really need the tenants calling every year with problems.

I did study plumbing and heating at college when I was younger and then worked alongside my father in his plumbing and heating business, so understand some of the difficulties, but obviously things change. Not thinking of attempting this work myself. It will get done by a qualified plumber/engineer.

I know these 'Which boilers to choose' questions come up here often and it can be a pain to respond all the time, which is why I have been reading past threads over this week. Alas, I haven't come across any recent threads about rental properties.

Your thoughts and ideas would be very welcome. Thanks

Chris

Baxi duo tec compact and a combimate 7 year warranty or 10 with the platinum compact

22 and 15mm to the rads

Similar plumbing topics

I'm sorry it's been difficult reading. Is this...
Replies
Views
What was his diagnosis and was he a commercial...
Replies
Views
It’s called experience! You’re welcome, glad...
Replies
Views
OK, thanks for the replies. The supplier said...
Replies
Views
The Orion is about 65% efficient so not great...
Replies
Views
Back