Soil smell coming from underfloor only when wind blows in certain direction | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Soil smell coming from underfloor only when wind blows in certain direction in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tom-smith

Hi all,

Hoping someone can help. I have a 1930's house and in the waste man hole I have two redundant pipes that look like they go somewhere underneath my house. When the wind blows in a certain direction a smell comes from under the floor. It probably happens once every two weeks. Could these pipes be the cause of the smell? If it is or not, should I block these pipes up anyway and start working out a process of elimination? Should I put cameras up the pipes? Can I temporarily block them? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank Tom

Hi Tom
If you are sure that these 2 drain lines do not serve anything then you could block them using one of these to see if the smells stop.

The plugs are the cheapest but can be a bit awkward to get them up a line in a manhole.
pressed-steel-heavy-duty-drain-plug-4-65001230-942-p.jpg

The bags are easer to get in then you pump them up to seal but the are expensive.
images-4.jpeg

Last edited:
Redundant pipes should be sealed with concrete to deter vermin. Try rodding to determine length, direction and where they might have originally surfaced. As above use stopper for temporary seal to ensure pipe not in use .Expanding stopper to pipe size, lubricating and pushing into position is sometimes easier than expanding stopper insitu. Tie cord to stopper to prevent it disappearing downstream should it become loose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

As a precaution report this to the building...
Replies
Views
10 o’clock / 45 degrees would be better than...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Could you post a picture of the shower trap...
Replies
Views
"I can’t get to the manhole cover – its been...
Replies
Views
Sorry for the delay in replying That looks...
Replies
Views
Back