Syphonic toilet(again) | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Syphonic toilet(again) in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sparky

Hello everyone, previous post i did, came to the conclusion the toilet syphon needed a new "bomb" assembly which i changed. Just fitted it and i have the exact same problem! There is just no suction on a flush. Gonna now change the syphon itself although the membrane looks perfectly intact although when you flush it does seem rather poor or weak. Anyone come up with any other ideas?:banghead:

New CC pan and cistern is about £50, I wouldn't bother trying to repair it personally.

Hi EPH yeah its an option but would like to fix this one and see it working properly. Its a nice looking toilet and the syphonic are supposed to have a really good suction on flushing. Pretty determined to get it working tbh.

If the insert is new (bomb?) could there be a blockage on part of the pan casting? I seem to remember them being quite intricate internally....

sorry that didnt work your right the next step is new syphon i think there is a double chamber siphonic and it has an airway between the chambers this is all a bit "if my memory serves me right" others might have more recent experience if it has two chambers ths airway has too be maintained how you check i dont know perhaps its best to take it one step at a time

The rubber seal on the end of the stem might not have made a seal, take the cistern off and push the seal further down the stem & try again.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I thought the same blod but had toilet out 3 times marked the rubber seal depth with pencil and was definitely being pushed up on insertion. Billbob, are you saying that the syphon will not be standard and i will need a syphonic toilet syphon?(if that makes sense). I know the bomb thread dosent fit all off the shelf syphons but was going to remove it and take it to merchants to find one that fits.

How do you visually recognise syphonic toilets again? Just so I can feign wooziness and leave a house if I spot one.

The back where the cistern sits is a lot larger, once seen never forgotten!!

On the one i have, taken the cistern out and there is another fitting that screws onto the bottom of the syphon nut. This i think is called the "syphonic bomb". Its about 6 inches long with a rubber "bung" on the end of a smaller tube. This tube fits into a small hole in the pan. Unsure how to upload pictures yet otherwise would post a picture. Hope this helps.

i think the syphon and bomb need to be from the same manufacturer its hard to gain a great deal of experience on these pans as there are so few about

when you fit the new 'bomb' and set the black rubber seal to its correct depth I think you are supposed to cut off the remaining tube.I got the information from Dudley syphons, they were quite concerned nobody seems to know how to replace bombs correctly.

these pans have a double trap and the bomb or aeretor causes negative preasure between them which sucks the pan contents out
main advantage with these were they are very quiet in use cant remeber the last time i saw one but they were very poular in the sixties and seventies usually in disusting shades of green and beige/ brown

Mine is a nice "modern" white one. Its an armitage shanks syphon/bomb. Going to replace the syphon next. The new bomb assy is the same length as the old so dont think this should be cut. Dudley may work differently.

The only way it seems to set the black domed rubber to the correct depth is to push it to the end of the tube and try and line up the plastic tube to the pan hole and push the cistern down, the rubber then gets pushed into position. You cant physically see past that point.

I dont have a terrible amount of experience of these so can't add much but are you sure there isn't a blockage somewhere as that'll cause the poor flush you've described.

Hi resolute, yeah pretty sure not blocked, have had toilet out tried to find an obstruction but nothing although it could be hard to find with the double trap. water seems to be flowing ok just no pressure on flushing.

I stuck a plunger on a drain rod and gave it a good ol plunge before to force an obstruction through the double trap - worth ago if not already.

S trap instead of Ptrap on the pan easiest way to spot them. They are bigger but some of the old pans are big anyway. You can still by the syphonic syphon and bomb as a kit from Lunns. Armitage Shanks still make them the last time I had a problem with one that's waht i ordered and it worked first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

1/4" from the bottom of the cistern sounds a...
Replies
Views
Thanks very much! Gets me off the hook! Let...
Replies
Views
Okay I’ll give it a try, thanks for your replies.
Replies
Views
Yes remove the plug totally And flap could...
Replies
Views
The float regulates how much water flushes out...
Replies
Views
A
Back