The oldest toilet outside a museum.... | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss The oldest toilet outside a museum.... in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dotty

And they wanted me to find and repair the leak! Not a prayer! It's a museum piece! It's over a hundred years old!

Castledillon 03.jpgCastledillon 04.jpgCastledillon 05.jpgCastledillon 06.jpgCastledillon 07.jpg

How could you resist it?

I would want a signed release form against any damage, but given that, I would not be able to resist the job.

Mind you, it looks like tens of hours of work, and parts would have to be hand made. Proper craftsmanship went into that, and it would be an offence to the original, long dead plumber not to give it a go.

How could you resist it?

I would want a signed release form against any damage, but given that, I would not be able to resist the job.

Mind you, it looks like tens of hours of work, and parts would have to be hand made. Proper craftsmanship went into that, and it would be an offence to the original, long dead plumber not to give it a go.

Ditto. I'd want to charge a couple of weeks' labour, too. Strip down and full restoration would be an amazing thing to do!

I just wonder where the plumber who put the WC in is!?

It would seem a shame to replace it someone needs to work there magic on that toilet,hopefully the customer has the funds and can be without it for a while.

i wonder if thats where the phrase "sitting on the throne" comes from:sorcerer:

It is lovely. Thank you for the photos.
I can completely understand why the owners of this loo would like to keep it working.

looks like an early sani-flo model and check out picture4 I spy a wee beastie if you pardon the pun ...lol regards Turnpin

i would love to take that on if they realy want it fixed i would insist on a waiver against it disintergrating
ting and id want an open cheque but i would be suprised if theres anything involved that couldnt be fixed any glands on shafts will be prakable it will be all in brass so can be soldered might have to bodge some gaskets but what a challenge

Last edited:
i would love to take that on if they realy want it fixed i would insist on a waiver against it disintergrating
ting and id want an open cheque but i would be suprised if theres anything involved that couldnt be fixed any glands on shafts will be prakable it will be all in brass so can be soldered might have to bodge some gaskets but what a challenge

You've nailed in there Steve. The pictures don't do it justice but close up you can see ho fragile the thing is. The pump has failed, other parts have frozen solid and so on. It's a pull out and take away job. I actually would like like to get it up and running but the reality is I wouldn't be allowed the time.

Maybe a home project for you croppie. It would be brilliant to see it restored. I almost said working then but had a vision of you sat on it with your teeth clenched.

Get back in touch Croppie and do the job before they call a numpty who will replace like for like with a B&Q bog in a box.

It's an old valve closet. These continued to be made up until the 1930s. That would be just my kind of job. Love working on these things. Would really need to be looked at by a restorer (such as myself). It is, as you suspect, worth a lot of money and even in its current condition, would be in the thousands. I have seen one not as good as that sell for £2,000 some years ago. Please tell the owners to be very careful with it as there are not many around today.

Last edited:
It just goes to show guys how easy our job has become. Back in those days fitting deluxe toilets like that one, also lifting cast iron baths upstairs on there own. Lead wastes and cast iron. Oh how im glad

The only people who would have had one of those toilets would have been wealthy and able to afford the purchase price and hours of work fitting one. Converted into todays money, such a device would have cost over £1,000 and we can guess at the hours. Everyone else had outdoor ash pans, ash closets, tin baths, and later outside washdown closets when they became affordable.

I have a good collection of books on antique plumbing. The most famous is "The Illustrated Plumbing and Sanitation" by Davis and Dye. which is a huge tome about all plumbing at the time.

An interesting book is "Bogs, Baths and Basins, The story of Domsetic Sanitation" by D J Eveleigh, ISBN 0750927933. Copies turn up regularly on ebay and amazon.

Last edited:
i wonder if thats where the phrase "sitting on the throne" comes from:sorcerer:

You are quite correct. These early valve closets were often designed to look like pieces of furniture such as large, ornate wooden chairs. This was much the same as the appearance of their predecessor, the commode.

We like old & some customers do too. (thankfully) I think my Greek-o-Roman bath may take some beating on the age front.
The WC was new, I was never sure about the peep hole above it, very worrying!! Ayot place bath.jpgScan10002.jpgScan10067.jpgScan10011.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Would cap both off separately cut just below...
Replies
Views
Hi, could you post a picture of the whole WC...
Replies
Views
Thank you mate, really appreciated that. I...
Replies
Views
thank you very much - i will see if i can find...
Replies
Views
Back