Toilet feed leak | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Toilet feed leak in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Good start to a Sunday. The feed to the toilet has started to leak. I have closed the valve but thats as much as i've done. Google tells me this part is prone to leaking? Any suggestions would be great, thanks

IMG-20160724-WA0000.jpg

Welcome to the forums Jimmy, undo the top nut whilst holding the thread above with a pair of grips then you will see a Red fibre washer under the nut, this is most likely the cause of the leak and needs replacing.

(Cross posting with stani here)

Last edited:
Cheers guys. Slight update I think I may have tightened it too much as it now looks like theres a crack in the thread. Simple parts?

Cheers guys. Slight update I think I may have tightened it too much as it now looks like theres a crack in the thread. Simple parts?

In that case you`ve turned a simple job in to a larger job. Need you to remove the cistern lid and photograph the other end inside the cistern first.

I like a challenge. Yh on that, struggling to get the lid of as its a button push. Will post a photo when I manage to achieve that.
Thanks again

I like a challenge. Yh on that, struggling to get the lid of as its a button push. Will post a photo when I manage to achieve that.
Thanks again

Some simply unscrew others the buttons lift out first to reveal a screw underneath, go gently now we don`t want you breaking anything else do we?

stani, I`m thinking fluidmaster cistern fill valve?

Jimmy, best pop out to your nearest diy shed, be around £20 mark I think.

As to the washer, - Hepworth do a flat 'rubber' washer for their plastic equivalent fittings. They can be got in a packet full.
They are identical size as the red fibre washers and a lot better, - especially where you tighten on to plastic tails. Rubber seals just need a gentle nip up.

Hopefully Jimmy has learnt that "real tight" isn`t always the way to go but hey everyone has to learn. Had a newbie the other month wanted to use 2 pairs of grips on a 32mm plastic compression fitting.

Bloody plastic tailed fill valves are nearly always terribly brittle plastic.
I use the brass tailed valves, - even fitting one on a brand new toilet I was installing in a flat recently. The thought of the plastic tailed valve supplied with the toilet cracking and flooding the flat and others below put me off fitting it.
Those Hepworth rubber washers can be bought in 22mm also. They are obviously supposed to do hot pipework, so should be good.
Never use tap connectors with any flat washers on valves that have a taper designed for an olive though, - too sharp an edge. Brass ballvalves seem to vary, - some are flat ended tails, some are tapered. I carry spare brass tails to use for nut and olive connection, which I prefer.

Have to admit I carry 1/2" Brass tap extension pieces in the van for days when I`m pushed for time and the pubs open.

The washer looks fine, although wouldnt hurt installing a better one if I can. Theres a tiny split in the pipe. Off to B&Q for a new fluidmaster filler, hopefully they'll do a brass extension? My mate has advised wrapping some PTFE tape on the thread before doing the nut up?

The washer looks fine, although wouldnt hurt installing a better one if I can. Theres a tiny split in the pipe. Off to B&Q for a new fluidmaster filler, hopefully they'll do a brass extension? My mate has advised wrapping some PTFE tape on the thread before doing the nut up?

PTFE tape shouldn`t be required if you use a new washer and fill valve.

Don't put ptfe tape on the threads! The threads purpose is not for sealing!
Try Screwfix for a Fluidmaster Pro 45b I think it is called. If you have a local place

Ok no PTFE tape then. Yh unfortunately I can only get to a B&Q, I'm relying on them to give me an equivalent part

Looks a bit tight against the inside of the citern for a fluidmaster, float may catch but hopefully not. Like most of us on here I fit fluidmasters if possible every time.

20160622_101331.jpg That wasn`t one of mine, I would of rotated it a little bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

I would cut it to the right size and glue the...
Replies
Views
Was the new pan fitted with a flexible waste...
Replies
Views
A
If the toilet is blocking up gradually it...
Replies
Views
Hi, could you post a picture of the whole WC...
Replies
Views
ah mb then
Replies
Views
Back