Toilet Won't Stop Filling Mystery | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Toilet Won't Stop Filling Mystery in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Joe123

I've had a google around and don't seem to be able to find the solution for this toilet that won't stop running. It's bad timing too as I just had a meter installed! I'm really hoping someone here might be able to assist me as I can't really afford a call-out and a subsequent markup on any necessary parts.

Here is a photo - the filler thing is different in design to the ones I've found in online trouble-shooting articles...

20140605_071412.jpg

Basically, the cistern fills up, and the rate of filling slows as usual as it gets to the top, but it just goes on filling at that slower rate, pouring down the overflow tube into the bowl.

The float (a grey plastic cup, you see) is rising and the mechanism on top (the circular grey bit) is changign angles - it's not jammed.

I took the circular grey bit off. On the underside is a small black runner bit, and on top of the white column that it covers there is a small hole. It appears to my untrained eye that the water is supposed to shut off when the grey bit changes angle, bringing the little rubber bit against the small hole. When I had the grey bit off, I tried covering the small hole with my thumb and it still didn't shut the water off... I don't know if that means the problem is with a sensor of some kind? Or maybe I'm theorising it all wrong.

Some help would be very much appreciated. The toilet was installed, all new, nearly 2 years ago. Maybe 9 months or so ago it did this, and I took it apart and fiddled with it for over an hour before losing patience with it and hitting it with a hammer... which seemed to work!

Thanks guys

the small black rubber bit is the diaphragm washer.
- swap that for a new one..:ihih:

As above. If you're unsure there's loads of different YouTube videos on it as well. If you've already taken it apart once then I'd imagine you'll be fine

hmm well the small black rubber bit I'm referring to I don't think is a diaphragm washer - it's literally just a small black rubber patch, perpahs 3mm in diameter, in the middle of the underside of the top grey bit. I assumed that its function was to settle on top of the hole and signal the cistern is full.

Does that make sense? But it's not a washer, it's just a little rubber pad.

I will try to get a photo up ASAP!

Thank you for your replies, I appreciate it!

Here is a photo when I take off the grey bit, so you can see the underside

20140605_162708.jpg20140605_162708.jpg

I

2 guys above are spot on, you'll waste more time fannying about with that over and over than just buyimg a new one dude :)

Hi Guys!

hahaha message received - stop fannying. Because I also had a leaky tap I actually was about to give up - I asked a neighbor if he knew a good local plumber and he said "I'll come around at 6:30". Around he came, dismantled the filler valve, couldn't put it back together and left! So it was down to me (and my 3 yearold) - a quick trip to B&Q and we've fixed both things! I know, both are very simple but I am a novice and REALLY keen to become more capable in these types of things. So it's a start!

I do have a follow-on question though I'm afraid. No sooner had I completed those two tasks, feeling very proud, did I notice that the tap which controls the mains into the flat is now leaking. It lives in a small hold by the sink in the bathroom. There's a slow leak from the body of it. Perhaps from being turned on and off during this process?

This is a photograph:

mains tap.jpg

Before I attack it, I just thought I'd check with you guys... this is simple right? Turn off the water outside the house, unscrew this tap from both ends, get a replacement from B&Q, screw it in and turn on... right?

Thank you again!

joe, is the stopcock leaking from the nut round the spindle? if it is it will be simple to fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

I’ve checked the tank as much as I can and I...
Replies
Views
It is a siphonic WC and good to see one still...
Replies
Views
Hve you tried pulling the large chrome part...
Replies
Views
Try putting food colourant in cistern chances...
Replies
Views
Back