Toilet won't stop running intermittently | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Toilet won't stop running intermittently in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rerazor

Hi all, look for some advice. My toilet won't stop running. Not all the time , but it's a pain in the you know where. It's a concealed unit made by macdee. The short flush button on the dual flush button is and has been slack with nothing behind it when you press it for a while. Not sure if this is part of the problem. The only details I can read inside the cistern are as follows :- Macdee,WRAS,AFV 40100,AFV 40200 on top of the unit to the left of the picture below. Thanks for any help in advance.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 71
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 68
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 75
As marka says if it's running into the pan then your cistern will be continually filling. the flush mechanism should twist out of the bracket at the bottom of the cistern so that it can be easily replaced. Take it to a plumbers merchant they'll get you the right one. When you've got it out you should be able to see any wear if you flip it over

Hi Marka and Riley, thanks for the replies. Yes the water does run into the pan, but not all the time as it is an intermittent problem. Does the flush button problem have anything to do with it, or should both the button and flush mechanism be replaced ? Thanks

May have nothing to do with flush valve. The fill valve could be sticking intermittently, therefore overflowing. Next use overcomes the sticking and it operates as normal.

Yes that's it melmos! It might stick once in every 20 flushed or so. So which one holds the fill valve in the photo and how do fix/ replace it ? Also the half flush button does not work only the full. Is that just a straight swap for a new one ? Sorry but I have little to no experience with toilets. Thanks again

It could also be passing at times when pressure peaks in the street. I.e, everyone's in bed?

Don't think that's the problem TSB as it does during the day as we'll as during the night. But what do I know...lol

The fill valve is the complete unit on right of picture, connected to water pipe, which appears to be a flexi. Turn off water supply, remove the valve and replace with a Fluidmaster side entry fill valve with a brass shank to prevent cross threading. Like this fluidmaster.jpgyours does look a bit old and scaled.

Hi all, look for some advice. My toilet won't stop running. Not all the time , but it's a pain in the you know where. It's a concealed unit made by macdee. The short flush button on the dual flush button is and has been slack with nothing behind it when you press it for a while. Not sure if this is part of the problem. The only details I can read inside the cistern are as follows :- Macdee,WRAS,AFV 40100,AFV 40200 on top of the unit to the left of the picture below. Thanks for any help in advance.
Is the water refill to the cistern mains or tank fed? Also I gather this is a bottom fill type concealed system.. Looks really good! Have experienced a problem like that one and found it was main fed and was lifting the diaphragm on filling, but after a while would seal with the gravitation. But at the end of the day just had to slow down the feed a little and put a load of limescale remover round the pan to stop making it look like the erroneous waste of portable water..

. If toilets were like phones I'd get unlimited allowance

Ok side entry fill.!!

one problem overlooked is take the flush valve out by twist 1/4 turn.

if its got a rubber ring at the seat and this has wart like blisters on it, then burst them with your finger nail and replace.

sorted, for a while at least!.

If the push bottons arent working then this could be the problem.
The wire is attached to the lift mechanism. If the wire sticks, it can prevent
the syphon from sitting back down to make the seal.
You would be as well to replacement pack.

Hi I have been reading your thread as i have the same problem just wondered what you did and has it solved the problem?

Think he got it all sorted

Sounds like the cable of the flush button is seized

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Was the new pan fitted with a flexible waste...
Replies
Views
Hi, could you post a picture of the whole WC...
Replies
Views
  • Question
If you mean the screw fitting that holds the...
Replies
Views
A
A common problem usual a new flush valve is...
Replies
Views
When you say 'cleaned the bottom of the tank'...
Replies
Views
Back