Why do combi boilers have the need for a twin programmer? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Why do combi boilers have the need for a twin programmer? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inverness

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Can some clearly explain why a combi boiler would need a twin programmer when the hot water will always be priority over the heating.

I know that you could preheat the water so there is less time you wait for hot water to pour out of the tap. But surely that's what you expect from most combi boilers?

would there be a diffrence from oil combi to a gas combi apart from a gas modulates.

can someone give me answers please.

Preheat oil combi button

Hi my sister has moved to a new house. Less than 4 year old. I noticed there is a room stat in the same room as a trv. (Conflicting with each other) bad practice. Any way They have a oil grants vortex Eco pro 26e combi.
As a apprentice We never install oil combi boilers. So I'm having problems understanding the preheat function. and when is the best times for this to be set to come on?

ive done a bit of homework and what I've found is a lot of people say the preheat function is a waste of money and energy.

Any advise I'd be happy to hear from you all.

Oil combis have large heat stores that need to be up to temperature to provide water at specified volumes. If nobody is in all day then no point keeping it hot, likewise overnight. Ive seen the ho****er permanently on, on some older external combis. Prob did it that way so not to have to fit a frost and pipe stat.

what times would you recommend for the preheat hot water to come on? will it take much longer for hot water to flow from taps if the water wasn't preheated because its a oil boiler? what would happen if you didn't use the preheat function and just demanded hot water when you opened a tap?

Its not a preheat. Its a requirement for hot water. If the tanks cold then you will get cold water. The tank has to be hot as its that water that goes through the plate heat exchanger to produce the hot water. I normally programme it to come on half an hour before required and half an hour before the heating. But all depends on occupation and usage.

Re: Preheat oil combi button

The preheat keeps the store up to temperature so when you turn the tap on you get hot water. I say to people either leave it on constantly or have it on from about 30mins before you get up until your bedtime.

as above, or all youll get is cold water from the tank

I don't understand why you would only get cold water.

I don't understand why you would only get cold water.

The "store" will be cold water if the boiler isn't given power until you use your taps.
Think of it much like a copper cylinder needing to be heated from cold well before you need to use hot water.
The store is there for a purpose so it allows the boiler to catch up with replenishing the hot water when a lot of it is being drawn off.

Thanks very much and your time. So its not like a combination boiler without a storage facility by turning the tap on and a few seconds later hot water arrives. If i dont call to preheat the thermal store that's inside the oil combi and turn the hot tap it will run cold because the hot water plate exchanger isn't getting any heat transfer from the preheat storage facility?; meaning you can't have hot water unless the preheat function is on?

If you have small pipe runs and not the need for two hot showers in use do you still need the preheat?

Last edited:

I just want to let you guys I really do appreciate your time and knowledge. And one day I'l be able to help someone like me out.

Forget everything you know about gas combis as they are completely different. You have to have that store hot otherwise you won't get any hot water.

You can't modulate oil boilers so they are all or nothing so without a hot store you will get nothing.

I just want to let you guys I really do appreciate your time and knowledge. And one day I'l be able to help someone like me out.

That's what we're all about. Knowledge is meant to be shared. Not hoarded

Thank you.
So if I left the hot tap open without the preheat on I won't not get any hot water what's so ever?
Is the thermalstore inside the oil combi is it central heating water or just domestic hot water?
Sorry for still not understanding it.

Oil combi preheat how does it work

I would like to know how a oil combi boiler works with the preheat function.
is it possible to get any hot water with out the preheat button on?
thank you

Re: Oil combi preheat how does it work

Simple answer. No you won't.
A storage oil combi works completely different to a gas combi. It needs to keep the storage tank hot for hot water demand. The tank is full of heating water, not hot water. When water is drawn, it pumps water from the tank through the plate heat exchanger. This would normally be left on all the time, or timed to be on during morning and evening.

thanks you sometimes its easier to understand rather than the books.

Preheat timer is handy... Look at the crappy ideal Isar, no preheat timer option & it fires up all the time... When the diverter passes it's put on the radiators lol!

why does an oil combi have the preheat function and not just produce hot water like a gas combi?

3 threads on the same thing? All giving you the same answer.

The answer is without the tank hot you will get no hot water.

im a bit slow. i do apologize.

3 threads on the same thing? All giving you the same answer.

The answer is without the tank hot you will get no hot water.

:42: = :banghead: = :ban: if your not careful.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
Replies
Views
External hounsfield heat only. If you really...
Replies
Views
Hi , At the risk of hijacking this thread I am...
Replies
Views
steve wake
S
Back