1 cold loop on my central heating system..... | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss 1 cold loop on my central heating system..... in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Les1

I have just changed a motorised valve on my heating system. Refilled it & turned it on & found 0ne loop only working with 2 radiators on it.

Next morning programmer started it up and the 2 rad loop was cold but the rest was really hot & working fine. Cannot seem to get the air out of the 2 rad loop. Tried purging at the Air valve but it doesn't appear to have air in it. Any ideas would be most helpful. I have tried turning other radiators off but no joy.

Thanks, :annoyed:

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you closed off all working rads? Closed off the by-pass? pics of the install might help use identify the problem.

Thanks Gas,

I have tried closing off all hot rads. I do not follow the bypass, could you please explain.

I could draw the layout but it has 4 loops, 1 serving 1 rad to kitchen, 2nd feeds 4 rads bedroom & bathroom, 3rd dining room & rear bedroom (2 doubles) this is the cold loop, 4th is on it's own a large double in sitting room.
Does this help I am not a heating engineer which is probably obvious...

Haven't got much to go on here, but you can sometimes force an airlock through by turning off the bypass (if you have one, next to the pump) turn off any HW demand + working rads and turn the pump to full whack, or, if any of the 2 rads have 1/2ince bleed valves, remove and stick a flex on and drain to outside

How many port valves have you got? did you clean the header out before draining, assuming you have a vented system, yes?

Haven't got much to go on here, but you can sometimes force an airlock through by turning off the bypass (if you have one, next to the pump) turn off any HW demand + working rads and turn the pump to full whack, or, if any of the 2 rads have 1/2ince bleed valves, remove and stick a flex on and drain to outside

How many port valves have you got? did you clean the header out before draining, assuming you have a vented system, yes?

Thanks again ,

I have one port valve if you mean the motorised valve which operates the system when programmer cut in. It is a vented system with drop feeds. All rads are drop fed. I have drains on all radiators would that help to try to release the air & drain from there?

Thanks for your reply.

This is a bungalow with ground floor water cylinder & header tanks in the roof. All runs are in the roof dropping to all radiators.

Try shutting the valves on each radiator put your hose on the drain off then open each valve in turn tll you get a good flow of water thru this normally gets rid of the air in the droppers.

and if you have not got drain offs on either rads, then disconnect one rad and stick a washing machine hose on the valve and drain in to a bucket

Thanks to you both, I thought yesterday that I had it cracked. Got both rads red hot. This morning they are barely warm but I will try the air purgers first but thanks for your help.

One more thing I turned the circulation pump up to 3. Should it stay at that or drop it down to 2 again if I manage to sort this.

Thanks again,

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

In the end decided to follow Chuck’s advice...
Replies
Views
B
Context for issue: I'd like to start by...
Replies
Views
Butchy10
B
Several people told me it would be an Airlock...
Replies
Views
I have a weird intermittent problem where my...
Replies
Views
L
Replies
Views
Back