15mm rising main to 4 apartments? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss 15mm rising main to 4 apartments? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan_the_plumber

Gas Engineer
Hi
I’m currently working on a 3 story house that’s being converted into 4 flats. I installing 40kw boiler, 15 rads, 4 Heating zones plus a hot water zone. Etc etc
Each flat has a kitchen sink, toilet, basin and electric shower.
Problem is, I’ve got a 15mm rising main. ‭Im hoping it’ll just be adequate.
However as back up I’ve thought about installing a booster set.
As a back up to the back up I’ve thought about installing a break cistern then a booster set.
I wondered if you had some experience and thoughts on this?
I’m sort of dreading telling the client that he needs a 25mm rising main, especially when the main also supplies 2-3 buildings. Thanks...Dan

Hi
I’m currently working on a 3 story house that’s being converted into 4 flats. I installing 40kw boiler, 15 rads, 4 Heating zones plus a hot water zone. Etc etc
Each flat has a kitchen sink, toilet, basin and electric shower.
Problem is, I’ve got a 15mm rising main. ‭Im hoping it’ll just be adequate.
However as back up I’ve thought about installing a booster set.
As a back up to the back up I’ve thought about installing a break cistern then a booster set.
I wondered if you had some experience and thoughts on this?
I’m sort of dreading telling the client that he needs a 25mm rising main, especially when the main also supplies 2-3 buildings. Thanks...Dan

I think you've hit the nail on the head with the tank and pump set.

How high is the Building and what is the Static pressure at ground level?

Won't work on just mains if your right at the top be around a bar loss

I think you've hit the nail on the head with the tank and pump set.

How high is the Building and what is the Static pressure at ground level?

Thanks s lot :) well I’ve got 2.5 bar at ground, then top outlet is about 7 M up. So I recon 0.7 Bar loss. Minus equivalent pipe length, minus fittings.

Thing is there’s really no chance of having mains pipe re-run in 25mm. So you recon a break cistern and booster set is way to go then?

Thanks s lot :) well I’ve got 2.5 bar at ground, then top outlet is about 7 M up. So I recon 0.7 Bar loss. Minus equivalent pipe length, minus fittings.

Thing is there’s really no chance of having mains pipe re-run in 25mm. So you recon a break cistern and booster set is way to go then?

Can you get 22mm pipe upto the flat ?

Whats supplying the hot water?
Is there a plant room where the boiler etc are going?

Does the 15mm main do all property's or just that one flat ?

I do think you are best with that set up but you will need to increase the size of the riser anyway in my opinion.
Personally, I would use 22 mm Copper, it needs calculating though.
The 15mm would be too restricted and noisy. (if that is what you are thinking)

I do think you are best with that set up but you will need to increase the size of the riser anyway in my opinion.
Personally, I would use 22 mm Copper, it needs calculating though.
The 15mm would be too restricted and noisy. (if that is what you are thinking)

Thanks for advise. Yeah I was thinking of running all cold pipe work from outlet of booster set pump in 22mm. Then reducing down to 15mm say 2M before appliances.

Does that sound right to you? Thanks :)

Thanks for advise. Yeah I was thinking of running all cold pipe work from outlet of booster set pump in 22mm. Then reducing down to 15mm say 2M before appliances.

Does that sound right to you? Thanks :)

Thought you said you couldn't get 22mm upto the flat ?

15mm will definately not do three apartments bud you can only get out what you put in 15mm wont even do the unvented cylinder you need a re think . kop

15mm will definately not do three apartments bud you can only get out what you put in 15mm wont even do the unvented cylinder you need a re think . kop

No. But I’m thinking of break cistern then booster set. 22mm jp through building then reducing down a meter or two before appliances. What do you think?

yea you will be ok if you only have 15mm into the break tank just need to size it so it can cope with peak demand and then 28mm into the pump from the tank and then 22mm to the flat

will the pump supply the whole building?

You will need to boost it somehow bud your probably on the right track i would be covering my arse and telling the client your conserns about it being under sized put it in writing just in case of problems down the line. Cheers kop

yea you will be ok if you only have 15mm into the break tank just need to size it so it can cope with peak demand and then 28mm into the pump from the tank and then 22mm to the flat

will the pump supply the whole building?

Well I suppose the pump will do all of the DHW (through unvented cylinder) Then I suppose it’s only really got to do cold water for upstairs flats.

Only other thing I’m wondering...Presumably the booster pump will also need a small accumulator. This, just to start the pump running when a tap upstairs is opened?

TWS contact them bud heres one thats been in 6years 20mm supply in and does 2 properties . kop

Screenshot_2018-03-22-06-21-40.png

Screenshot_2018-03-22-06-21-45.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Could be debris in the loft shower inlet filters
Replies
Views
E
Is it an unvented cylinder? Sounds like issue...
Replies
Views
You got your colours muddled. The black needle...
Replies
Views
No I do not. Second to that I don’t even have...
Replies
Views
D
  • Question
Looks like your attempting to put a plain 3/4...
Replies
Views
Back