1930's wash basin with problem taps | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss 1930's wash basin with problem taps in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mrdee

Hi, I have a small 1930's cloakroom sink in my house with original taps. However I am having a problem with the taps constantly dripping
I have taken the tap apart but the inside is totally different from a new style tap with no obvious washers to replace. Can anyone help as I do not want to replace with new taps. Thank you

Hi, I have a small 1930's cloakroom sink in my house with original taps. However I am having a problem with the taps constantly dripping
I have taken the tap apart but the inside is totally different from a new style tap with no obvious washers to replace. Can anyone help as I do not want to replace with new taps. Thank you
a picture would be good are you sure the washers havent disintergrated

No there is one fixed solid washer on the bottom of the spindle which sits inside a cup housing on the inside of the tap. Quite hard to explain but tap has not been modified since made. I previously enquired in a plumbing store and it was suggested that it may be necessary to grind the inside of the tap housing with a tool traditionally used for this? But I have been unable to find out any more about this.

Hi thank you for that, possibly this may work, will buy reseating tool. Sorry have no pics as camera not working.

The only taps i can think of that cant be re washerd are ceramic quarter turn types, however I dont think that Ive ever taken apart some taps from 1932, surly there will be a rubber washer mounted on the end of the body by means of a friction fit over a spindle?, as said a re seating tool is a good bet to make the seat nice an smooth especialy when combined with a new tap washer. Id be interested to see a picture of the tap as Iam sad like that and live a lonely life with only my black cat to keep me company.

Could it be one of those Supertaps which I believe were made by Avro?

A photo is essential for an accurate answer!

Thought about super tap but still have washer,just that you can replace it without turning water off and they were from late sixties
Think as said maybe washer disintegrated
Mr Dee have you ever seem inside normal washered tap to compare types ?

they just didnt make them to last did they, can you not call back the bloke who fitted it?

Thanks to all for advice. Have discovered as you said that washer had totally disintegrated, have replaced and now works great! Thanks again

Thought about super tap but still have washer,just that you can replace it without turning water off and they were from late sixties
Think as said maybe washer disintegrated
Mr Dee have you ever seem inside normal washered tap to compare types ?
funny how you forget things dont remember the last time i saw a supertap
i used to love it when you walked into a job to do washers and they were supataps so easy

Bought a load of plumbing kit from the local auction rooms and in it were 6 pairs of brand new basin supertaps in their original boxes. Just need a few customers into 1950s & 60s retro. Couple of those offset egg shaped basins with offset tapholes would do. There was one for sale in our local salvage yard which fetched £150 last year.

I'm getting really good money for 1920s to 1940s WCs, basins etc where in good nick these days. Get more for them than I do for copper! Sold a 1920s Armitage WC pan for £50 last month and a Victorian corner basin for £200 last summer. Must have made over £1,000 on salvaged kit last year and the customer normally just wants me to get rid of it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
https://www.toolstation.com/flat-tap-washer/p25929
Replies
Views
  • Question
Have a sink basin tap photo attached and need...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Job done and so far no leeks. The drop on the...
Replies
Views
Just unscrew the plastic pushfit elbow and...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Sounds like they winged it a bit with...
Replies
Views
Back