2 Questions - combi or not, and wood-burning stove for rads? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss 2 Questions - combi or not, and wood-burning stove for rads? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

alan_james

Hi all, can't find exact answers to these anywhere in the forum:

I have a closed pressurised gas boiler central heating & hot water system. Plumber (young guy who i didn't trust and flooded the place, left rads leaking, etc.) said a combi boiler wasn't suitable for our house, I think due to our poor low mains pressure and 3 stories it had to climb (converted Victorian townhouse), but installed a big cold tank + pump anyway for upstairs bathrooms, so i was never clear why pressure was an issue after that? Anyway, now we heat water into a tank for hot water. So:

1) Is the hot water tank necessary & efficient - i.e. would a combi providing hot water on demand work at all, or better, here?

2) Considering a wood-burning stove in one room and wondering if it can be easily, or at all, be inserted into the central heating rads circuit?

Thanks!

Alan

Last edited by a moderator:
1) It might work but would you be happy with it and would it suit your needs?
2) Why would you think combi if you want to do this. Yes it can be easily (dependant on the layout of the house) done with your current set up.

A leak does not make a bad or untrustworthy plumber and combis are not suited for everything no matter what they say in the pub/ office/ factory/ asda or wherever

combis are fine for small/average propertys with low hot water demands and decent cold water pressure and flow. Cyliners/open vented systems are suited to most sized house's especially when more hot water demand is needed and can be more suitable when cold water pressures are an issue. Its hard for use to comment on your current system without alot of details and being able to see it.

A solid fuel system may be possible, you would be best off asking a hetas registered engineer to take a look and give you a quote, it could be faily simple or not depending on your house, available chimney/flue system, fire place etc..... there can be alot to consider.

Last edited:
Anything is possible, if you want to chuck plenty of money at it.

As said, not really enough details to cover all your options.

@Tamz - no offence to good plumbers, but this guy was bad - even told me the toilet wouldn't flush was because it was "Spanish design" :) I had to tighten up leaky connections & re-fit toilet fittings myself (from the instructions he tore up & trod on), and more. And what does the combi option have to do with a stove plumbed into the rads?

He said the combi wouldn't work due to poor mains cold pressure, but then solved the pressure issue with a cold tank + pump, so...?

Would it be effective, efficient & simple to convert? Heating enough hot water for storage in a tank when it will be used later after cooling off doesn't seem efficient to me - is combi on-demand hot water not better? There's only two of us in the house.

What other details do people need?

Thanks!

Alan

Personally if i was thinking of going with a thermal store (heat bank) i wouldn't be advising combi.

Maybe you should speak to a couple of other established and recommended plumbers and hear their opinions and advice on what may suit your needs best after they have seen the job. Spend your money wisely.

closed pressurised system + wood burning stove = no

Agree.

Best, cheapest option would be 'room heat only' stove.

People always want to 'tie' in a 'cheap' wood burner option to reduce bills, but fail to realise the massive costs this may take to achieve. I tend to say now that it will cost at least x thousand and if you are really serious I will price it properly. Once most people pick themselves up of the floor they decide against it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
This sounds dangerously intriguing!! Keep us...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Totally incompatible. Look at bumping up the...
Replies
Views
D
H2 with combi and stove? Combi sealed system...
Replies
Views
Of yes of course, I never thought of that! At...
Replies
Views
C
You could prob have two circuits joined by a...
Replies
Views
Back