2 rads only not working properly | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss 2 rads only not working properly in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

P

patxak1

Situation - have 2 rads downstairs that bearly heat along the top , i have bleed these, no air lock found.

these rads were added to the end of the line five years ago and never worked right,the pipe feeding them does get hot. today i turned off the other 6 rads ( 4 upstairs and 2 down stairs) and they did heat up.

having trouble trying to balance them, can either get these working or the other ones.

any suggestions, maybe the run is too long? the boiler was newly fitted at the time. i had a plumber in about two years ago to try balance them

First, welcome to the forums!!

How many radiators do you have? What size pump have you got? (Something like 15-50, 15-60, 25-50 - it's on the pump.) How long and wide is the house (to the nearest 5 metres or so) and how many bedrooms? (Just getting an idea of the size of house). Finally, what type of boiler have you (and if you know the boiler's output that would be great!)

Sorry for so many questions but it might not be a case of balancing, especially if another plumber's tried it.

It sounds like you have too many rads off one run. Ideally you should have two rads off a 15mm run if you have more then the rads added at a later date are being robbed by the originals. If you increased the run to 22mm and teed off in 15mm this would help the flow to the added rads

Thanks for quick reply - its a gas boiler vokera 16e , just the pump in that operating the system, I can have a look tomorrow at the output on it.

its a standard 3 bedroom terranced house with small extension with the last rad in that room. 8 rads in total and HW cylinder. The boiler is in a concrete shed 4 meters from the house.first rad is upstairs.

The line runs from the first rad at the back of the house to the bedroom in the front. down to the sitting room. T's of have way to through the sitting room to the one in the hall way and then to the two new rads - one 2 meters away in the kichen and one 7 metres away in the extension. can get better measurment tomorrow. (there is short runs in the bedrooms as two of the rads are mounted opposite each other on one of the bedroom dividing walls)

My hunch is JS58GAS has hit it on the head in one, especially with your description.

If you can sort a heating circuit out in 22mm (flow to round the house to return) and 15mm off this it should cure the problem. Much easier said than done!

Is it worth isolating off these two newer radiators, running system and seeing if it works with the older part of the system, then plan how to re-attach the newer ones?

Situation - have 2 rads downstairs that bearly heat along the top , i have bleed these, no air lock found.

these rads were added to the end of the line five years ago and never worked right,the pipe feeding them does get hot. today i turned off the other 6 rads ( 4 upstairs and 2 down stairs) and they did heat up.

having trouble trying to balance them, can either get these working or the other ones.

any suggestions, maybe the run is too long? the boiler was newly fitted at the time. i had a plumber in about two years ago to try balance them

what valves are on them?

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
I can't afford it at the moment, but I had one...
Replies
Views
You seem to have got it sorted, but for future...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Since it became normal for trv's to be bi...
Replies
Views
Back