2nd Ferroli scrapped in 6 years - NEVER AGAIN | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss 2nd Ferroli scrapped in 6 years - NEVER AGAIN in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

flyfisher

Hi Folks

Guess many of you have your own view on Ferroli s and the fact City Plumbing and many others have stopped dealing with them. Company turnover (2009 - 27.5m) (2013 - £9.7m).

Got drawn into buying a replacement for the first one by 5 year warranty on the Optimax. Called them out once for water leak when almost new and now major issues and will not run.

When you call them they immediately say that you have to have complied with their conditions. So the imediate presumption is that we are looking for away out.

In my case they said my warranty was voided by the failure to pay and invoice for a tap turned off by a tenant on the first visit when it had a leak when a few months old. As they had water dripping out of the boiler I cannot see how that was anything but a fault. However they send an invoice to the property and not surprisingly nobody got back to them as they needed to come back to me direct! My fault they did not have my details on file and Warranty voided apparrently.

Charged me £75.00 for visit to tell me that the boiler was beyond repair as needed many parts including a heat exchanger.

They failed to register that you expect a boiler to last more than 3.5 years. But then with this attitude they will never get any business from me again. We have many boilers and even some cheap ones have lasted 10 years with no problems.

So lesson learned - terrible company - terrible products. Never again. `

Surely, you must have liked the First Ferroli or you wouldn't have bought the second?

most times the cause of a boiler failure is poor installation methods and lack of a proper commissioning procedure, done properly even the cheapest boiler can last a reasonable time

most times the cause of a boiler failure is poor installation methods and lack of a proper commissioning procedure, done properly even the cheapest boiler can last a reasonable time

ferrolis generally dont though but there good for business,after 3 years people get sick of them and we fit something decent

This is true. However, most cheap brands are bought by people who don't understand this, and therefore a weak boiler gets a poor install. Then, when it goes wrong, the same cheapskate who chose the cheap boiler in the first place, accepts the lowest quote to fix it.

And then everyone's surprised when it needs replacing in 3 or 4 years.

In my house, I have a "cheap" Radiant. Been in there about 16 years or so now, pootling along nicely. Properly installed by an old fashioned engineer, and looked after by a firm who look after lots of Radiants. Probably go another few years yet.

This is true. However, most cheap brands are bought by people who don't understand this, and therefore a weak boiler gets a poor install. Then, when it goes wrong, the same cheapskate who chose the cheap boiler in the first place, accepts the lowest quote to fix it.

And then everyone's surprised when it needs replacing in 3 or 4 years.

In my house, I have a "cheap" Radiant. Been in there about 16 years or so now, pootling along nicely. Properly installed by an old fashioned engineer, and looked after by a firm who look after lots of Radiants. Probably go another few years yet.

not now it wont, now youve said that, I'm sure you'll get away with a cheap replacement, try ferrolli :)

And you wonder why no-one likes you! :)

Listen Ray, can you hear that nasty whining fm your kitchen, its not the Mrs or the washing machine, do you know any decent plumbers in Fareham (that you can honestly say you trust :) ) If not theres a few of us out there who would gladly come and see your tulips sprouting out of your lawn

Some cheap boilers are just shocking and ferroli are top of the list in my opinion.

Also buying cheap is usually false economy as when your boiler breaks down the cost to repair it will usually be a lot higher.

And I disagree that a cheap boiler properly installed will last longer. Some boilers are just shocking.

Unfortunately I agree with Lame, installation quality counts for a lot.

I've seen vaillants fail within a few years due to poor water quality, and I have 4-5 Chaffoteaux Britony SE's I fitted 10-12 years ago that are still going strong in student properties that are often abused and well used. O.K, they've had a few parts but nothing Out of the ordinary.

I also agree with Ray, the poor installers use cheap boilers to lure in customers with their cheap prices (particularly landlords) and the result is a cheap boiler on a poor install which will enviably fail quickly.

I like to think we fit quality products well, which should provide years of hassle (ish) free service. We're not the cheapest by any means but long term it will work out more cost effective (and convenient) to pay a bit more at the start rather than constant repair bill's throughout the life of the boiler.

One reason we do very little work for landlords!

Sadly some can only afford ferroli boilers.

Just like we arent all driving mercs.
Not everyone can afford the best brand boilers either.

Got a call yesterday. TWO years old Biasi boiler and he wants it replaced. But experience has shown me that 'customers' almost always don't tell you the truth about the age of their appliances? Either because they do not know or because they do not want to believe it is older than they want it to be?

The point is, the quality of the installer is probably more important than the boiler. Fair enough, buy a cheaper boiler, but don't always go for the cheapest price when it comes to installing it!

They are in the very small minority though. I priced up a job the other day and they said we can't afford an expensive boiler and speaking to them further they are going on holiday in August for 2 weeks to Greece!

So a lot of people don't want to spend money on the boiler as they don't see them as important until they go wrong.

Also I think a lot comes down to what I call the snob factor, where I used to live there were a lot of people living well out of there means driving nice cars, going on nice holidays and living in houses that they can't afford the up keep, but as long as it all looks good from the outside everybody thinks they are wealthy.

They are in the very small minority though. I priced up a job the other day and they said we can't afford an expensive boiler and speaking to them further they are going on holiday in August for 2 weeks to Greece!

So a lot of people don't want to spend money on the boiler as they don't see them as important until they go wrong.

Also I think a lot comes down to what I call the snob factor, where I used to live there were a lot of people living well out of there means driving nice cars, going on nice holidays and living in houses that they can't afford the up keep, but as long as it all looks good from the outside everybody thinks they are wealthy.

dont think they are in the minority these days but on the other hand the people your describing are those living beyond their means/income and they are still plenty of them idiots about,
which in my mind is very different to say a single parent with kids or someone made redundant or a couple on low wages all of them trying to make ends meet.

I had a lad doing contract stuff with Carillion a few years back and now and again they would do a debt run with sheriffs officers and a locksmith, sticking card meters in for those who hadn't paid the gas bills and it was surprising how many had the big houses and fancy cars who had racked up 1000's in unpaid gas/electric bills trying to keep up a lifestyle they couldn't afford.
Old saying of my mothers "Fur coat no knickers" lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

C
I’m not posting here to agree to do/looking...
Replies
Views
Something as simple as turning the power off...
Replies
Views
For an attic, I would say that insulation...
Replies
Views
Thanks very much for your help.
Replies
Views
Thank you for the detailed and considered...
Replies
Views
Back