3 port valve | UK Plumbers Forums | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss 3 port valve in the UK Plumbers Forums area at Plumbers Forums

Can you install a unbranded motor or does it need to be the Honeywell one? A big price difference
As undertrained said, There are cheap ones but they will not last as long. The last cheap one I bought from Corgi direct via this forum and it was very noisy. I think you are better sticking to Danfos or similar even though they are more expensive.

If just replacing the head not the motor or full valve I find it earlier to use these for the wiring instead of going on to the box. Do others?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-10-30-11-22-42-18_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-10-30-11-22-42-18_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 18
You can see the actual motor turning?
You can normally see the valve opening but if not, you could remove the motor.
More often than not there is no reading through the winding or the gears are seizing up and making it difficult for the motor to turn. It is obvious if the motor is at fault.

In answer to your question below, no, if I replace the motor I use the connections that come with it and there are a few options but if I replace the valve or head (very rarely replace the head only to be honest), I just connect in to what's there already and test it.

Can I ask why you very rarely change the head only?
I rarely do that because there is rarely anything wrong with the head, it is normally the motor which has failed and the cost of a head only isn't far off a full valve. I think if it's in a condition where the head needs replacing, the valve is probably in the same condition. This is only based on my experience of course. Other folk will do things differently. There is no right or wrong way of doing it.

They read around 1.9 kilohms. (kilo ohms), or there and there abouts. If they have a failed winding (winding broke) they don't read anything as there is no continuity. As I mentioned previously, sometimes they seize or start to and they aren't powerful enough to make the valve open to the micro-switch but you can tell by moving the manual lever that the resistance is stronger than it should be.

Do you replace microswitches as well, or is this new head time?
No I wouldn't.
The valve and motors are in stock (van) so I would decide valve or motor and crack on. I wouldn't get involved with anything else. The aim is to be professional and cost effective with no call back/return work. Do the best job you can and do it once. If there is any suspicion it could be something other than a simple motor replacement, then replace the valve.

Again, this is only my view on things. It is based on my own experience.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Are you sure it would need a drain down? If...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
  • Question
Hi Thanks for your reply, have purchased the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
No not unless you use a cold water tank as you...
Replies
Views
  • Question
With two issues following someone working on...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Depends on valve Diverter one or another...
Replies
Views
Back