3 radiators not working | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss 3 radiators not working in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

H

HavingANightmar

Hi,

I have recently bought a new house which has a pressurised gas heating system. 3 of the radiators do not work.

I have bled all radiators and pump.
I have taken radiators off wall to checked for sludge (very clean water)
whilst radiator was off I checked the Thermostatic valve worked and also the normal value on the other side. these worked as expected (paid plumber also replaced these to see if that would resolve my issue).
I have turned off all radiators in the house except one of the 3 radiators that are not working (and repeated for other 2 radiators)
I have connected a hose to the radiator to check flow

this suggests a blockage but its unusual for pressurised systems to get blockages.

any ideas?

Are the affected rads all on one floor, maybe zoned seperately
If so, look for another room stat on that level which will be wired to a 2 port valve which will open when stat is turned up
Need to know more to give an accurate answer
Details of the system?

Turn all radiators fully off except one of the rads that doesn't work. Also turn any separate bypass valve or valve to cylinder coil off.
Open up one valve at a time into a hose while keeping the system topping up. If both valves keep flowing then you don't have a blockage if filling loop is at boiler. The route between boiler and rad would be clear.
A standard radiator valve - like a lockshield, can be faulty and let the flow only in one direction due to the 'washer' part being loose and pushing down with flow. But this will be unlikely with 3 rads

Last edited:

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Well done for sorting it. Waggling the trv pin...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Try some 3 in 1 oil on the pin
Replies
Views
O
Have you tried waggling the pin on the trv...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Turn rad valves off drain rad then open each...
Replies
Views
1/4 turn black knob on both. open bleed screw...
Replies
Views
Back