a day in the life of a plumber | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss a day in the life of a plumber in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

mutley racers

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Called to a job this morning, leak in the ceiling. Well washer in ball valve had gone so overflowing. So I turn get valve, it snaps, look for incoming main, find it the corner of a corner unit. I cannot budge it. All lead pipe so not going to try to hard. Try find main on the street, I can't. So pop to williams to get one of those aladdin iso valves. Get back to house, It need a long 14mm socket. I don't have. Off to toolstation. Pay £50 for a set. Get back to house, and see I need a red line on the socket to get the correct depth, or just tighten until collar comes of with hands. after about 5 minutes of tightening, I see the collar move, so unscrew it an water flies out all over the place. Ask carer to pass me up big bin and open kitchen sink tap and outside tap to reduce the pressure. It helps a little but it is still flying out all over the shop. All I can think to do is call thames water and tell them I cannot find external stop tap and I am in the poo in a loft of a 2million pound house. Ok sir, we will be there within 4 hrs!!!! Noooo so I hold it tight for about 45 minutes but aladdin head gear is pushing out the body. Bugger, Pray, and I am going to have to go for live. Pipe slice in van. Grab iso valve and Juniour hacksaw from tool bag and cut into pipe. Water every where and not in the bin. Wack iso on and tighten the best I can do and bingo. A water tight fitting. Cancel Thames water as now I don't need. 30 minutes later they arrive. He finds stopcock but cannot turn it off as it is jammed. Sprays it blue and off he pops.

this was a close call. Am glad to be home!!!

Could have been a whole lot worse.....it could have happened to me..lol ( trust me it has) They don't teach you any of that in college lol regards Turnpin:43:

What's your opinion of the Aladdin easy iso valve then lol...

Pfft, sounds like a nightmare... Nothing worse than having to snatch it live!!!

While your faffing about Mutley driving all over the shop I'd have had the wet vac out and done a live snatch and been home in time for cornflakes.

next time freeze it???? haha and add the 20 quid extra on to the bill?? could of been worse! could have been heating water on a cream carpet!

Nothing worse than that mutley! Been in a similar spot before where you end up with a cut in your thumb from holding it over the pipe , shoulda called a mate that's what I did

Always snatch with standard gear. Open all the taps and leave ISo 3/4 open with hose on outlet ( to a drain or your mates tool box) tighten on olive and close valve.

Always snatch with standard gear. Open all the taps and leave ISo 3/4 open with hose on outlet ( to a drain or your mates tool box) tighten on olive and close valve.

cracking methology by that cow :), zebedee would approve.

I didn't really want to snatch it live as I was on my own. And because of the price of the property. I thought you weren't able to freeze a pipe if it is constantly dripping?

I have my brother staying with me at the moment and while I was putting pressure on the valve he called and asked what I wanted for dinner. I said, if you can get here now to help me out that would be great. By the time he arrived I had fixed it.

i hate it when you have your thumb on the end of the pipe trying to stop it and the burrs are cutting right into your finger. Luckily with this one i just kept applying pressure to the socket.

To be honest, I don't think I will be purchasing one of those Aladdin things again. It has cost me £35

I've done it in a shopping center full of punters and an empty houses and everything in between. Admittedly the cleaners and ride on wet vac helped clear the 200 odd ltrs of water from the concourse in no time!

Use the most fundimental and simple fittings always - the new fangled stuff is utter pap. Although you could have taken head off of ballcock, allowed reduced pressure water to flow to over flow and installed a jet sweat, then sleeved a full bore ISo over it....... Oh damn it won't come through ISo!!!! Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Jet thingys / Aladdin magic lamps all utter tosh!

I fitted gohre floating frame & tray in Dartford then drive to Buckhurst hill fit another tray & bath ,
go to pack tools away , find my van broke in to ,,
van is on lease , gos back in 3 weeks ,

I fitted gohre floating frame & tray in Dartford then drive to Buckhurst hill fit another tray & bath ,
go to pack tools away , find my van broke in to ,,
van is on lease , gos back in 3 weeks ,

Thieving scums of b!tches! Did they get much?

Nothing ,, just cause damage ,, my dead locks where on ,

Shame you didnt catch them, like that bloke in Wales, who broke one of the scrotes legs and arm and sat on the other till the cops arrived. He got 10 months of hell before being cleared of gbh and the two got a 75 fine.

Here's a cracker from Friday night won't lie could of cried at time.

So had a bathroom from hell you name it and it's come damaged. Been on going 4 weeks should of took 2. Anyway get there Friday late on to finish off. Packed up tools in van in poring rain in dark 7.45pm. Just as leaving was asked if I minded fitting a RF door bell. Due to all the delays and the fact they had been good as gold me replys yep no probs. screwing unit to wall bang flash and the place decends into darkness :sad: 11.55pm by time sorted that out FOC :bigcry::bigcry:

Here's a cracker from Friday night won't lie could of cried at time.

So had a bathroom from hell you name it and it's come damaged. Been on going 4 weeks should of took 2. Anyway get there Friday late on to finish off. Packed up tools in van in poring rain in dark 7.45pm. Just as leaving was asked if I minded fitting a RF door bell. Due to all the delays and the fact they had been good as gold me replys yep no probs. screwing unit to wall bang flash and the place decends into darkness :sad: 11.55pm by time sorted that out FOC :bigcry::bigcry:

And yet again, another example of no good deed going unpunished :)

Just had a call off an old dear who's hot tap just came off. Reseated it as it was goosed and couldn't afford new one. Worked its way loose. Free tap coming your way me thinks old dear!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Thermostat changed... With the new one, it...
Replies
Views
Oh dear, welcome to the forum, I will move...
Replies
Views
J
  • Question
Hi, did you ever solve this problem? You...
Replies
Views
I feel for you, it's a bad position to be in...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Take the good advice of your plumber and get...
Replies
Views
Back